Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Since Juergens recent post seeking comments on his new site is not the first time this forum has been asked to comment on designers latest creations, the thought occurred to me that perhaps this type of thread was misplaced here, and ought to be in the Web Design and publishing area.

I popped over to said forum, and fairly quickly realised why Juergens posted here - Theres no life left over there! I mean the place is like deserted. Design - last post Sept 21st. Site feedback - last post Sept 7th. Freelancing - last post, oh forget it, there's only been 3 posts in the whole of September!

So it seems clear, if you want comments on your latest site, seek them here.

So I propose, to any moderators/administrators looking in, that the web design forums are closed. This will introduce minimal extra traffic in here, and also remove any guilt feelings from the members here should they wish to get feedback on site designs from those of us who are still very active. Ie actually get some feedback.

This forum I notice (by contrast to Freelancers) has over one and a half pages of September posts. Have we sad people got nothing better to do - I jest [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I duplicated my recent query about the rollover buttons in the web area but it turned out to be a waste of time. Here I had trouble keeping up with replies, which eventually led to a solution.

I mean its just pointless having a room with people in it if no one is going to say anything.

Whereas here, at times, it is hard to make yourself heard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Oh well there we go - made a change from playing with Xara (briefly).

Alan
    Alan

Since Juergens recent post seeking comments on his new site is not the first time this forum has been asked to comment on designers latest creations, the thought occurred to me that perhaps this type of thread was misplaced here, and ought to be in the Web Design and publishing area.

I popped over to said forum, and fairly quickly realised why Juergens posted here - Theres no life left over there! I mean the place is like deserted. Design - last post Sept 21st. Site feedback - last post Sept 7th. Freelancing - last post, oh forget it, there's only been 3 posts in the whole of September!

So it seems clear, if you want comments on your latest site, seek them here.

So I propose, to any moderators/administrators looking in, that the web design forums are closed. This will introduce minimal extra traffic in here, and also remove any guilt feelings from the members here should they wish to get feedback on site designs from those of us who are still very active. Ie actually get some feedback.

This forum I notice (by contrast to Freelancers) has over one and a half pages of September posts. Have we sad people got nothing better to do - I jest [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I duplicated my recent query about the rollover buttons in the web area but it turned out to be a waste of time. Here I had trouble keeping up with replies, which eventually led to a solution.

I mean its just pointless having a room with people in it if no one is going to say anything.

Whereas here, at times, it is hard to make yourself heard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Oh well there we go - made a change from playing with Xara (briefly).

Alan
    Alan

I second the proposal!

Tony
    Tony

I agree. I pop in here every day, but only about 3 times a month (humm spooky) to the others. When I do I find I have missed out on some nice stuff from time to time, but as they are all on one page it is not too bad.

That all said it I would not like to see this one area flooded.

So any ideas?

Turan

took me a while to understand your post [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

As I come to the forum using www.xaraxone.com, I miss a big part of talkgraphics.com

I checked the "look at my page" forum and all threads from over one year fit on a single page [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Only way that comes to my mind that would make people look there is if you had a page where you see new posts in selected areas.

juergen

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> As I come to the forum using www.xaraxone.com, I miss a big part of talkgraphics.com <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I like to hear, Juergen :-)

Forums are what you make them. Unfortunately I agree the action appears to be happening in the Xara conference. But this is not to say that a community may not someday grow in some of the other communities.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So I propose, to any moderators/administrators looking in, that the web design forums are closed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but I simply can't agree with this! Most site issues are far better served by having a dedicated forum (which has some keen followers and a helpful moderator, believe me), and the suggestion that non-Xara users should be expected to trawl the Xara forums for generic site design or coding queries strikes me as misguided. So the Xara rollover problem met with a bigger response here, fair enough, but please don't condemn another excellent forum solely because it receives less traffic!

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

also, someone wanting to discuss site design might not be a Xara user.

Also the controllers of Talkgraphics may stubbornly refuse to delete all forums except the Xara Ones [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

In all honesty though, one way to improve on the current "solitude" in non-xara forums is for you guys to go there and post occassionally. We have a tremendously popular and active forum set for Xara products...and we are tickled silly over it.

But there is a tendency to get a bit "clique-y" in here. I don't necessarily mind non-xara related posts being placed in the Xara forums, but it may be better served in one of the other forums...and it would help us to generate a little activity in those forums.

One possible solution is to post your query/site/whatever in one of the site forums, THEN post another reference to it in the Xara Forum. (basically: "need your advice on my site. please check it out in the Site Forum LINK LINK).

In that way, the topic is in the correct forum, and hopefully some of the overactive Xarans will journey forth and comment. Over time, perhaps the activity levels of the other forums will increase to match the heavyweight Xara Forum.

T

They are VERY useful forums; I think every question I have raised there has been answered helpfully - just like in the Xara forums. And usually with input from Jen.

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk