Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: New Desert pic.

Still trying to get a photo realistic landscape.I think I am getting closer though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comments welcome [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Stu.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desert_PIC.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	16590  

Still trying to get a photo realistic landscape.I think I am getting closer though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comments welcome [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Stu.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Stu,

your landscape renderings show that you have spent a lot of time with them and worked on them pretty much.

However, sometimes I'm asking myself if it's worth all the hassle - let me explain what I mean.

For animations, let's say a 4 wheel drive running through a landscape, over hills, passing creeks etc you definitely need a real 3D landscape.

But for stills? I've tried to develop landscapes in 3D, but none of them proved to be nice enough for the result I wanted to achieve. So I returned to my old passion, loaded my camera and tooks some landscape shots which I placed in the background.

I mean you are living in one of the most beautiful countries on this planet, with everything from tropic beaches to subtropical area to hill countries to alpine scenerie - everything almost in driving distance.

Wouldn't is be easier to use one of the 'real' landscapes instead for stills? At least this method would drop the render times considerably...

I've seen in this forum that some of you use Terragen or another app to render landscapes - I've never tried them, so I can't say if they are good or bad or just time & life savers ;-} However, the results have been impressive - like yours right here.

But taking into account that you must have spent a lot of time for the modeling, I think that going for a shooting session would be faster?!

A nice example for 'photo' realistic landscapes was the posting from Ron http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...1&m=6441980381
    Just imagine he would have modeled the landscape...

I think we will never be able to copy nature, all we can achieve will be an illusion that comes pretty close to the 'real' thing...and which looks 'real' to non-3D-people ;-}

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

As long as even a trained eye can't tell the difference between a photo and 3d, who cares? To me, photorealism means that no one, not even a trained eye, is able to see through the illusion. It's rare that I've seen something that's truly photorealistic. I doubt the number of truly photorealistic 3d images that I've seen would be great enough to require more than one hand to count them on. But it is possible, especially with today's software. Global Illumination such as Radiosity, caustics, digital confusion (depth of field), volumetrics, advanced particles - we have everything that's needed to simulate nature. It just takes a LOT of time, and a LOT of patience. Most people just don't have it.

I'm glad to see that Stu (and others on this forum) do have it, and are continuing to strive towards total photorealism.

Nice desert image Stu. You're definitely headed in the right direction. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

jens I take your point.For me personally it is the chalenge to see if I can mimick nature and confuse my eys so that they are wondering is this real.The reason I dont take photos is because I no longer have a drivers licence and am unable to get about as freely as I once was,so maybe it is also about bringing a bit of nature to my monitor because my experience with the real thing is now so limited.For someone who is able bodied I would more than recommend using a camera for stills etc,for instance here in New Zealand in the South Island where I live I am about 30 mins away from the beach and 3 - 4 hours away from snow fields and some of the most beautiful scenery nature has to offer but I am unale to get to that splendor freely anymore so I paint it from memory and try to recreate it in Cinema 4d,but I still see what you are saying and I suppose I just love the challenge [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I will see if I can find a decent url for you guys that has some great NZ scenery....I sometimes forget that I am living in a description of paradise,thanks for reminding me again jens [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Ps thanks for the kind comments guys [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers.

Stu.

Whenever I need terrains, I usually use real, photographic clouds. I have a huge collection on interesting cloud formations because we live in one of the wettest places in NY!

Try a real sky image sometime with your terrain. It's not "cheating" and you will get a better effect.

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Downtime.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	19379  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.