Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Optimal File Structure-could use advice?

I have an intranet for work that we host on our server (F://intranet/). In this intranet, I have forms and documents that we use regularly.

Okay, then I have Xara to create our company's website, which is hosted at GoDaddy. I have come to understand that when I create a website with Xara, it saves it to my computer (not our network server) and then when I link to files (that I want website visitors to have access to) on our intranet, Xara copies those files to my computer as support files (C:ProgramData/Xara/Xara Web Designer 6/Default/ourwebsite_web_files).

Then, when I publish our website, Xara creates an exported site to our server at F://ourwebsite. This is presumably a back up?

So here's my question: When I update one of our intranet documents, where should I save it so that the next time I publish the website, Xara will realize that the doc has been updated and then publish it. It seems easiest to save it to our intranet, because that is the source, but it never updates on my published website. Do I need to delete the document from the working file on my computer so that Xara once again searches out the link to our intranet and then publishes an updated version? I'm trying to streamline this process as much as possible. What is the most efficient way to do this?

Oh and one other question: is there a way to have the working file NOT build on my computer, but on our server instead? Our server is the only device that is backed up daily. Or is the exported file on our server adequate? Can I import that file back to my pc if my pc crashes?

Default Re: Optimal File Structure-could use advice?

Basically, Xara publishes to a designated folder on your computer, then uses FTP to upload those files to your web host's servers.

If your Intranet is linking to the web host's server, then this is where your files should be.

But if your Intranet is on your internal network, then your files need to be published to your internal server. F://ourwebsite sounds to me like it is being hosted internally.

There is no reason not to publish to your computer or to a network location.

You can always, and should always, do a backup of your computer on an external drive, or to an outside source such as a cloud drive.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Basically, Xara publishes to a designated folder on your computer, then uses FTP to upload those files to your web host's servers.

If your Intranet is linking to the web host's server, then this is where your files should be.

But if your Intranet is on your internal network, then your files need to be published to your internal server. F://ourwebsite sounds to me like it is being hosted internally.

There is no reason not to publish to your computer or to a network location.

You can always, and should always, do a backup of your computer on an external drive, or to an outside source such as a cloud drive.
    I'm confused. If I publish our website to our server, how would the public be able to view it? The F://ourwebsite is created by Xara when I ftp the files to GoDaddy. I can completely delete it at any time and Xara will just create it again the next time I ftp.

For example, say I publish my website and it never changes, but I have a link to one pdf that does change every week. When I edit that pdf, where should I save it to make sure that Xara recognizes the change and ftps that file to the web host? As I said, there is a working file on my computer and exported files on our server.

Oh forgot to mention, it's policy at work not to save anything to our computers. We have to save files/data to the server because that is backed up daily. I don't know how to change the settings on Xara to place those work files on the server. I was able to change the settings to make sure the exported files went to the server, so I guess I would be able to use those if I ever lost the ones that Xara keeps on my local pc.

Hi Hotshoe

Use Save As to direct the file to your network and/or move the file. WD6 will remember the location when it subsequently saves.

Are the PDFs edited or created by someone other than you ?

N.B. Exported HTML files cannot be used to directly re-create a WD file.