Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bevel mania

This is just a demonstration of the flexibility of bevels, mostly rounded with 30 degree elevation. The nose was an inner bevel, the others mostly outer.

Bevels provide instant lighting effects with minimal effort, in effect they provide a bump map.
    One could use the bevel tool to generate lighting effects to any graphic by a making a copy of an object or group of objects and applying a bevel to it, then one can generate a bitmap from this and apply it as a BRIGHTNESS bitmap tansparency to the original object. I haven't got an immediate example of this unfortunately.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bevel_face.gif 
Views:	1102 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	7554  

This is just a demonstration of the flexibility of bevels, mostly rounded with 30 degree elevation. The nose was an inner bevel, the others mostly outer.

Bevels provide instant lighting effects with minimal effort, in effect they provide a bump map.
    One could use the bevel tool to generate lighting effects to any graphic by a making a copy of an object or group of objects and applying a bevel to it, then one can generate a bitmap from this and apply it as a BRIGHTNESS bitmap tansparency to the original object. I haven't got an immediate example of this unfortunately.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd

..is here
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thought the bevel bitmap brightness transparency sounded interesting. Had to see what it would look like. Just grabbed some Xara Clipart - here's a look...

Name:	bevel.gif 
Views:	1033 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	11165  
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

Absolutely superb.
    Demonstrates the point exactly.
    Congrats on being so quick on the uptake!

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Congrats on being so quick on the uptake! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark

We all be very quick on the uptake around here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

Name:	orange_smiley.jpg 
Views:	977 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	5736  

After looking at wfcentral's examples, and knowing this for awhile now, that it's pretty nice to get this effect in one package. I say that because basically, the other way, that is, the Photoshop (bitmap editor)way of doing what needs to be done to look like that, you'd have to export a bitmap, make a selection (or mask) to isolate the graphic, run it through a plugin like kpt's shapeshifter, or blade pro, then export it again. But, that's it ... it's the end of the line. At least in XX, all is still editable at this point!

Xara amazes me as it really IS a treat to use.

Wayne

Hi everyone! This is my first visit to the new forums after the ones at i/us shut down. It looks pretty lively around here! I finally downloaded XaraX this morning and have been playing around with it for a few hours. After reading this thread, I was inspired to come up with my own 'Bevel Garden'. I also used the drop shadow and transparency tools. It's just amazing what you can do in Xara in a short amount of time. Have a great weekend!

Michelle Lill

Name:	marble_flowers.jpg 
Views:	804 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	11920  

Michelle

I eagerly look forward to see more of this original use of bevels from you.

People should let bevels do the hard work of lighting graphics.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd

Glad you found us, again Ms. L. I love your beveled glass :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...