Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Import SVG

Default Import SVG

This may have been requested before or available before in previous versions (I don't recall), but I am making this request anyway.
    I believe there was some debate in the past regarding the SVG format in general.

I haven't had a much of need for this before but now I do.

I am getting map requests and have found that GIS can produce maps (and they can be very complex) quite easily and export them to SVG.

That said, GIS can't do somethings well that a standard vector app like Xara or Illustrator can do (labeling, drop shadows, gradients, etc.).

I'd prefer to use Xara for enhancing the maps rather than Illustrator (especially since Xara has a scale option).

The Illustrator SVG import filter maintains the GIS layers which is a very important feature.

Hopefully, if an SVG import filter is considered, it would also be able to recognized layers.
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Import SVG

Another thing SVG import would be good for would be for working with 3D programs like blender which can export as svg. Blender and Xara already play very nice together but it would open up some very interesting creative possibilities to be able to create a 3D object in blender and be able to import it into Xara as a vector drawing with vector surfaces that could be coloured, filled, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Frances have you verified the svg export from Blender is actually vector and not a raster within a svg wrapper?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I didn't think of that hmmm I think I still have a version of inkscape I could try it with, maybe tomorrow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Just want to +1 this feature request. SVG has become pretty standard - most browsers will even display it directly. Better support is much needed.
    IP