Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Opening PDF File from Website created with Xara Web Designer Closes site

Please advise,

I have referenced a variety of pdf files from within Xara Web designer 7 Premium. When I go to the website and open the pdf, the website closes behind it. I have tried settings including:

Same frame (_self)
    Same window (_top)
    not specified
    parent frame (_parent)

I changed the settings to the ones above, uploaded, gone to the website, refreshed the pages and still get the same results.

You can check it out at:

www fieldtest75 com / pmt4 [Acorn Edit: this is now a dead link, but should not have been allowed under TG rules for new Posters anyhow]

Thanks for your help.

PCA
    Last edited by Acorn; 24 April 2016 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Removing direct URLs

Default Re: Opening PDF File from Website created with Xara Web Designer Closes site

Hi PCA, welcome to TalkGraphics.

When I click onto a link to a pdf file it opens in a new tab in all browsers I have except for Safari which opened a new window. Your home page remains in the original tab and window in the case of Safari.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: Opening PDF File from Website created with Xara Web Designer Closes site

in my firefox 10 it opens in the same tab as the website - easy enough to get back to website by using the 'back' button/menu

could be browser settings ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Checked it here, works fine.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pca75 View Post
    Please advise,

I have referenced a variety of pdf files from within Xara Web designer 7 Premium. When I go to the website and open the pdf, the website closes behind it. I have tried settings including:

Same frame (_self)
    Same window (_top)
    not specified
    parent frame (_parent)

I changed the settings to the ones above, uploaded, gone to the website, refreshed the pages and still get the same results.

You can check it out at:

www fieldtest75 com / pmt4

Thanks for your help.

PCA
    You should really be opening them in a new window( _NEW ). I noticed as well that you have them in the index_html_files folder. When I do a PDF I upload it on it's own and then link to it which generally will open it in it's own window automatically.

Here is what I mean:

You have the PDF's in the index folder as stated so your links are as follows...

fieldtest75.com/pmt4/index_htm_files/homepage-3-5-12.pdf

I would upload the PDF's to the same directory as the pages and then link directly to the PDF that way. It would be something like...

fieldtest75.com/homepage-3-5-12.pdf
    Last edited by Acorn; 24 April 2016 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Removed direct URLs

@pca75 - other TGers have gone to the effort to assist you.
    You have failed to reply to this Thread or the other you raised.

This is plain rude.

Do come back with an update soon,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, the OP started this thread 4 years ago!

The last post in this thread, aside from your's today, was four years ago. Are you thinking of this thread? http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ht=#post551064

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    The last post in this thread, aside from your's today, was four years ago. Are you thinking of this thread? http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ht=#post551064
    Yes Gary, totally my fail.
    I jumped into the OP's history and came out with the wrong Thread.
    The principle still applies, an occasional poster who does not seem to appreciate the effort others put out for free..

I apologise to pca75 for flaming.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat