Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default absolute link making

hello everyone.

on occasion I have created pages and then manually edited the code so that all links include the full web url, can anyone suggest if this is possible automatically, but or if xara can add this as a page option?

many thanks
    Carl.

Default Re: absolute link making

It's generally considered bad practice to use absolute links when linking within a website or domain. Why do you wish to do so?

It causes problems during testing and is unnecessary.

If you check the box, Correct Automatically, Xara will insert the correct link. Hence, www.mysite.com will be written http://www.mysite.com info@mysite.com will be written mailto:info@mysite.com.

If you edit the HTML document, it will be overwritten the next time you publish the page so this is not advisable in Xara.

hello, and thanks for the information.
    Yes, correct its best to use relative for most things, however I have found several reasons over time when having absolute links will save me time, but for example...

scripts that use templates, I use a directory script that uses a default template and it creates folders and subfolders, thus the template must have absolute links.

there's also arelis that uses a template, but also requires absolute links.

my thinking is that it's easy enough to manually edit the created html but time consuming if there are many pages, also as stated all changes are lost on re publishing, for me it would be great if there was a tick box on the page settings to use absolute or relative links, either use or don't use the website url included in the publishing settings.

In short, I have to use dreamweaver for creating several templates only due to the limitations of linking types.

kind regards
    Carl

Whatever works, Carl.

That said, you can modify the navigation bar to use absolute links very easily. In the Navigation Bar Properties menu, just click on the link for each button and change the link to an absolute link.

yes, indeed, thanks for the information about the navigation, it's not so much of an issue with the navigation though, more than a way to have absolute links for any javascript or the css and images on the page, I find that using xara to create templates for scripts is a great way to do things, other than the time it takes to edit and re edit after publishing..

saying this i wrote a small exe file to automatically convert all relative links to absolute links in a chosen htm file (find/replace) programme.. then manually upload via ftp..

Cheers for the feedback..
    Carl