Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Exporting to pdf

When I try to export this file to a .pdf I get:

"Access Violation exception at ox25F2C871."

If I click on "continue" the program freezes up and the only way to get it to close is by using the Windows Task Manager."

I've tried shutting down the program and restarting, rebooting the computer, nothing seems to work. I've been able to export other files without a problem but there seems to be something about this particular file that causes it to not work.

I tried a search on the entire error message and on the "ox25F2C871" alone both on the Xara site and at TalkGraphics but didn't come up with anything.

I am able to export by converting the entire thing to a bitmap, but the quality isn't as good. And, I've had this problem before with other files, although not recently and I suspect this is the first time on this version of Designer Pro 7 (7.1.1.17261).

Apparently, the file won't upload because it's almost 13 megs and the system allows no more than 10. So I'm attaching the .pdf made from a bitmap. Barnacle Poster.pdf

Default Re: Exporting to pdf

Can you zip and upload your Xara file?

Take care, Mike

There are 2 ways that I would do this if I got an access violation: Since your poster has a high quality bitmap running right across it I would place this on a layer on its own at the bottom of your layered drawing along with the background frames. Then I would place both the header, without text and the footer, the white background, again without text in another layer. Your button type thing, giving the time, in another layer again without text. Now add your ribbon bar, then your yellow area and if this area has any transparency convert this area to a 300 - 150 dpi bitmap as I think this is your problem. Then start placing your text in, with each area of text getting a new layer and in my opinion that would make 4 areas of text so 4 new layers. If you have used any transparencies anywhere on your drawing with such a large file size I would convert those areas to bitmaps the PDF export filter would do this anyway so you are saving the programme doing this calculation making it easier to do. Always, always have your text separated from your drawing in your layer stack by making it the top most layer if you are doing any sort of printing at a shop or print company.

The second way around this problem is to fully check that you have no items off your artboard and you can check this by doing a "Ctrl+A" and seeing if any of the nodes are off the drawing area. Next thing after that is to save the file by another name and then start deleting items one at a time then trying to export as PDF. I would start with the yellow shape as it certainly has feathering and maybe a certain amount transparency. Please come back if these suggestions have not work because Mike and I have quite a lot of experience in this area.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I'll give your ideas a try later today. Thanks for thoughtful suggestions.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I had something like this happen to me once and after going through my document as Albacore suggests deleting and exporting I found my culprit was a png image that my husband had made and used a 3rd party live effect on. Once the live effect was eliminated the document exported to pdf just fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.