Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Request for input regarding XaReg

For those that like and use XaReg I will be working on an update.

I am in my fifth day of retirement from my former day job and loving every moment of it. Today is 29 February 2012.

About my request for input, before anyone gets carried away making requests that cannot be done here is some background information to keep in mind.

1. XaReg is only a utility application that makes accessing Windows Registry Keys safe to use because it only allows specific information to be placed within specific Keys. The Xara Developers have included the Registry Keys within their applications, so they are the people to thank for their existance and the additional options they provide.

2. XaReg cannot make changes to a Xara application that the Developers have not included in the Registry Keys for the application.

3. XaReg will not start if you have a Xara application running, it will prompt you to close the Xara app and then restart XaReg.

4. I'm sure there is a fourth bit of information but I cannot recall what it is at this time.

Previous versions of XaReg were written using Visual Basic 2008, I am planning on doing a complete rewrite using C# (C Sharp) 2008. Anyone out there have any information about a downside to using C#?

Does anyone have any suggestions for changing the XaReg UI?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: Request for input regarding XaReg

Hi Bill,
    Congratulations on your retirement! I will be looking forward to the XaraReg update.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Thanks Jim. Is there something you would like to be different about XaReg?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks for the background info about XaReg Bill. I usually stay away from that kind of stuff because not knowing what I'm doing makes me leary of changing anything for whatever reason in the registry. With your info I might give it a try sometime without fear of messing something up. From what I've gathered before that is a good utility, so hats off to you. Sorry but I have no suggestions for improvements.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks Larry.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Bill

Remember the good old days when hitting the shift key selected the selector tool. It would be great if you could get this feature back.

By the way, congrats on the retirement if you permit me to say so. In plain english I am really just congratulating you on getting old if the truth must be know, but I am there also, will start collecting the old age pension sometime in May. Unfortunatly, I do not have the option of retiring at this stage but I always said that I have two options open to me, keep working or die and for some strange reason known only to me I prefer to choose work. Each to his own I guess............
    .............frank

Thanks Frank. To be honest I did not think I would live this long. I'm hoping this old dog is not too old to learn a new programming language.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Congratulations Bill

Is there currently a registry setting that would allow me to re name folders that I have added to the galleries and elimination the full path name, and have my new names stick so that they would revert back?

I remember that renaming was possible but If my memory isn't too addled I think the names reverted back one the program was closed down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks Frances.

At one time the Gallery names were written to the registry but that is no longer the case. If your renaming of folders did not 'stick' , it appears you may not have remembered to write the information back to the registry

If my memory is correct there is a way to name your own folders so they show in the Gallery with your chosen name. It requires a catindex.txt file within the folder if I recall correctly. This would be part of that subfolders tutorial I mentioned to you in another thread some time ago.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I must admit that the only real task I used XaReg for was to remove that pointless little menu that pops up when you right click on the colour line that made applying a line colour a two click task and I used to use it to help make the galleries harder to dock but that is now redundant as well. I do like to change the colour of guide lines sometimes and usually keep the as a pale blue.
    If it is possible then changing the grid type to a solid line, or continuous dotted line would sometimes be useful depending on what I'm doing as the present grid display often disappears in the general confusion. Changing its colour would also help.

Enjoy your retirement that's the main thing.
    Derek