Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Tiling a bitmap image

I'm currently discussing a project with a client and ideally I'd like to be able to create a tileable image that can repeat - nothing unusual there.

The problem is the subject matter. At the moment I'm not even sure if it's possible given the potential source images - cut logs.

You can see the kind of thing I'm talking about here:

http://www.allposters.com.au/-sp/Clo..._i4069612_.htm

Gary will kick me if I post anybody's image here. Unfortunately I don't have a pile of logs out back to photograph.

Is an image such as this tileable?

In case anyone's concerned about my tile plans, the client will supply the images, they will be similar to the one in the link above. I'm not planning to tile any image without permission.

Default Re: Tiling a bitmap image

That image can be tiled, but here is what you would have to do. I'll use one of my own tiling images.

Create a square portion of a duplicate image.

Make separate objects of some of the log ends from the other copy, that is, make them separate shapes by creating a clip view with only the log end showing.

Repeat the small copies around the edge of your tile so that the one log end goes off the tile at the same point the twin comes in.

You can see this concept illustrated with the colored stars.

Create a bitmap of the square portion of the tile shape, set the Fill Tool > Fill Tiling to Repeating Tile and Copy it to the clipboard.

Select the shape to which you want to apply the fill and use Paste Attributes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	repeating.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	87773  

Thanks Gary - you're a star!

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

That is a great method of doing this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Actually, if I used the image that Paul has linked to, it would be considered fair use, as it is not for monetary gain or in any way defaming to the person who posted the image.

I've used this technique for ever when creating the repeating patterns for my stereograms.