Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Pantone PMS colors on a website

It helps to have a printed sample in order to match visually as well as possible. For instance, among the various color swatches, it matters whether one is matching coated versus uncoated stock. This is an unknown to me at the moment.

The Pantone inks are the same. So 2607 is 2607 no matter whether one is printing to coated or uncoated stock. But the guides show actual ink sample on various types of stock (coated versus uncoated). As such, the colors vary visually as uncoated stock absorbs more ink and tends to be both duller and darker than the same ink on coated stock, which has a much lower absorption rate and so colors are typically lighter and brighter. Further muddying the waters *visually* can be the matte papers, etc. But in all cases are the same inks.

Pantone colors are not meant to be represented back lit like on a monitor. Pantone does supply the color values, but like other color models, once back lit can appear different. Pantone is really only meant to be used on paper.

To get back to the question, Bill, for the purpose of this thread of matching color of a web site widget to Pantone, one needs to really know whether the stock is coated or uncoated that one is trying to match in order to get close enough. The various letters following the colors U, C, PC, etc., are an attempt to match the way ink is represented on types of paper.

Take care, Mike
    off to lunch...

Thanks Mike. Viewing the Pantone palettes provided with Designer Pro 2607 is shown as a blue but the myPantone Palettes application shows it as a dark violet. This is where I become very confused, can I use the palettes within Designer Pro or should I forget them and only use the Pantone application?

EDIT: Found that when I go to Simulate Printer Colors what looked Blue is actually the same violet as seen in the Pantone Application.

When working with CMYK and/or Pantone it helps to use Simulate Print Colors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colors3.png 
Views:	948 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	87643  
    Last edited by Soquili; 28 February 2012 at 08:51 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

As someone who has worked in print for the last 20 years I would never try to match a 'print' colour such as as pantone colour with a colour on a website, you may get it perfect on your monitor but someone viewing the site on a diiferent monitor will see a slightly different colour, you client may view your site design on your monitor and like it and then go back view it on their monitor and phone you back saying the colour is different. Simply explain this to the client.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

EDIT: Found that when I go to Simulate Printer Colors what looked Blue is actually the same violet as seen in the Pantone Application.
    Ah that's what was confusing me too, why a few of them looked so blue. I think if this situation arises again I will use the web tools and charts to match the colours in the future because I'll probably forget about that option and if you leave it on it changes all colours on the page.

I could ask for colours in rgb or hex values but I think once I get close enough to the colour it's fine. Most people will hopefully know there is a slight visual difference from screen to screen so I suppose they can't really expect an exact match. Even if he supplied a digital photo with these colours I guess there would still be that margin of difference. I will expain this if he asks (now that I'm a bit clearer on the subject!), but I'm doubting he will if I get it close enough. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Good job I didn't use any of those blue colours, would have looked a right idiot!
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Because all web browsers work only with RGB it would be a good idea to find an RGB value that looks very close to the Pantone color. Do this with Screen Colors selected in your Xara app.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Why not use some of the online converters they have a much larger database to work from. I use this one on the add occasion: http://goffgrafix.com/pantone-rgb-100.php
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks for the link Peter. I have it bookmarked now.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

When I have to match a client's color scheme I try and get something from them on paper like a letter head with a logo or maybe a business card. Basically something that has the color or colors they want used and that is flat as well( gllossy makes it harder ). I then scan it. You can then come up with an RGB value by opening the scanned item in a photo program( or even WD )and use the color tool( little eye dropper thing ). While not perfect it gets me as close as any other way I have tried unless I am actually given RGB values.

You can only do so much.