Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Importing & Opening Illustrator files issue

I just installed Xara Xtreme Version: 0.7 for Linux, on a Ubuntu Linux computer. I installed it from the Synaptic Package Manager. I was happy when I saw that there was an option to import/open Illustrator files (along with many others). And, it even says on the xaralx.org site that this is possible. But, when I tried to do this, I only got a pop up window saying: "That file is not supported by the install filters", and right after closing that, I get another pop up that says: "Load failed. Xara LX failed to load the design. This is an early demonstration version of the program which does not yet support all of the data types that can appear in XAR designs."
    For the most part, I'm happy with Xara Xtreme, but I just don't understand why it has the option in the software, and even says on the website, that these types of files can be imported/opened in this version of Xara if they can't right now.
    What I'd like to know is, is this a bug, or is the feature just not available at this time? Because I have some .ai files I'd like to be able to use, but I currently don't know of or have any other software for Ubuntu Linux that can open them.

Default Re: Importing & Opening Illustrator files issue

Hi

AFAIK the linux version of xara is no longer maintained on a regular basis, if you look on the xaralx.org site you will see that the last update there was 15 october 2008 - maintenance of this program is undertaked by the open source commuity there, and not by Xara Ltd

There are lots of different versions of .AI files and it is highly unlikely that xaralx can open them all, and especially the latest ones if there has been no update to the filters since then...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Make sure that the AI file is a Legacy version 8 or below. As stated it is a very old import filter.
    Design is thinking made visual.

being linux, you might get round the problem by updating libraries/dependacies - but you'd need a linux forum for that, I think
    Last edited by handrawn; 28 February 2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: typos
    Nothing lasts forever...

It's very unlikely that any libraries or dependencies will make any difference. LX uses it's own filters for all formats.

thanks Luke
    Nothing lasts forever...