Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Alignment Pop-up

I use the alignment pop-up constantly. It is annoying to make it appear/disappear because its behavior disrupts the normal undo/redo functionality because you have to keep opening and closing it for it to work properly.

I suggest that since much of its functionality is button based, can we have it as its own toolbar rather than as a flyout?

This would make for a much quicker process than constantly opening and closing it. The two functions that I use 90% of the time are either center objects to selection bounds and center objects to page. Then I use align objects horizontally/vertically to selection bounds or to the page.

I'm not saying necessarily to get rid of the alignment dialog, but the fact is that there are 36 different potential alignments. 4 alignments that are determined by selection bounds/page/object or spread. And 9 options as to the position of the objects. This can further be expressed as the 4 boundaries, a horizontal(top/center/bottom) and a vertical(left/center/right). There has to be an easy way of compressing this into a tool bar with a few drop down choices that are constantly available.

Another option is to simply have the existing alignment box fly out from the icon. I just think that this dialog box can be made more efficient and take up less space.
    Sheff
    My Site

Default Re: Alignment Pop-up

Sheff - Just click on the objects being aligned, then the Alignment menu is disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheff View Post
    Another option is to simply have the existing alignment box fly out from the icon.
    What if it were dockable, like the galleries?

Then I would be down with that.
    Sheff
    My Site

The dialog box is the only box that makes you click something else. You cannot hit UNDO immediately after applying an alignment change in DP. So after you click somewhere else to change the focus, apply the UNDO, then you must go back to the dialog box, correct your settings then apply.

What I am asking for is to fix the need for the dialog box to change focus. No other dialog box in DP behaves this way.
    Sheff
    My Site

yep It's annoying, I've ditched using ctrl+z when using the aligning dialog and click the undo button on the toolbar instead. But it would be lovely if ctrl+z just worked with it without needing to click on something.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

+1 on that.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com