Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Photo replacement default

I hate that DesignPro replaces all the bitmaps of objects that use the same image. 90% of the time, I want to replace a bitmap of a single object. This used to be the default but somewhere this got changed along with the name change.

Where is the setting that when I replace a photo, I am replacing a photo fill of only one particular object? Is it in XaReg somewhere?

Also, it used to be that when you had an object selected, you could double click on an image in the bitmap gallery and it would fill that object with that bitmap. Why was this turned off? It was a really useful feature. I hate having to click on a bitmap in the gallery and then go up to click the fill button. I realize I can right click to make it happen, but the way it was before was pretty efficient.
    Sheff
    My Site

Default Re: Photo replacement default

Hold down the Ctrl key when you drop a photo onto an existing photo. A pop up menu will appear with options including Replace the Current Image Only.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Hold down the Ctrl key when you drop a photo onto an existing photo. A pop up menu will appear with options including Replace the Current Image Only.
    I am painfully aware of this function. I do the CTRL - drag image thing ALL THE TIME. The issue is that sometimes, you release too early or too late and you've dragged the bitmap to the WRONG OBJECT. If the object that you wanted is selected, and you move off to the bitmap gallery, what is wrong with clicking a fill and expecting it to only affect the object you have chosen? If I wanted to change all the bitmaps on all the pages, I would have chosen them via the name gallery.

When you chose an object and click a color from the color toolbar, does it not fill the object with that color? If you have a bunch of different red objects, and you chose one of them and make it yellow, does DP go back and find all of the red objects in the entire document and make they yellow as well? No it doesn't, because that would be illogical. I think the same thinking should be applied to bitmap fills. There is no logical reason to replace every single bitmap fill in a document just because you change one object that has that fill. If I choose an object, and I want to make a change to that object, I don't want a recursive action to occur to other objects that share a similar attribute. If I wanted that to happen, I would have chosen ALL the objects that I wanted to change prior to applying a new or different bitmap.

What I would prefer is that we have a choice for this to be the default and for hitting CTRL only when we want to change ALL the bitmap fills. There isn't a way of changing this right now.

Do you remember how it used to be when you could choose an object and double click a bitmap in the gallery and it would apply it as a fill?
    Sheff
    My Site

Sheff there is no registry entry that I am aware of that will change the current behaviour when replacing a bitmap.

I recall the old behaviour and prefer it over the new way things work. Just one of those changes to make working with web design easier I guess.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Try changing ReplaceMulti\AskReplace to 1.

or change ReplaceMulti\ReplaceType to 2 for single bitmap replace, 1 for replace all on page (and leave as 0 to replace all).
    Last edited by Luke.Hart; 17 February 2012 at 09:21 AM.

Thanks, Luke! It's almost March. Perhaps an option will find its way into XaReg.

This is something that ought to be in 'options' rather than a registry entry to be modified.
    Sheff
    My Site

Luke it seems I never posted a thank you for your information. Sorry for being so late, but I do thank you.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update