Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default publishing question

I am publishing my first Xara website, and it is a template from one of the packages that come with Web Designer 7 Pro.

Everything tests fine and no problems until I go to publish. Then I get a notice at the start of ftp. "warning symbol with ! in center, -- Can't change directory to/index_htm_files: no such file or directory."

I could not find this in archives, and really lost. What did I do wrong and need to fix?

Philphoto

Default Re: publishing question

Have you used the "!" symbol in any of the file names or URLs ?

No. I avoid symbols anyway, and I just checked to be sure.

In desperation I used a standard (Core FTP) and uploaded the site and everything on the site is working now. The Publish function in Xara WD7Pro still has the same response. Can not figure out what happened.

philphoto

Sometimes it helps if you close the application, then right click on the program icon and select Run as Administrator.

This can solve a myriad of issues and you only need do it once.

Also, make sure you are uploading your files to the proper sub directory if required. Most web hosts have dedicated folders for uploading your website files.

Not sure what you are meaning by the sub folder. My host has a main log in for my account and then I load the files in the Public_html folder. It is the way I have done it for years, but that is from Dreamweaver and using a standard ftp program. Not too big of a deal for me as I can use the way I am familiar with but it would be best if I can get Xara WD7 to do what it is supposed to do for at least the time and effort savings.

philphoto

Your sub-folder is the public_html folder that you publish your site into.

It's a sub-folder within the directory that you connect to on your web server.

Therefore, you need to type the name of the sub-folder path in the Publish tab and then publish your site.

I think I tried that and still the same. I have tried everything mentioned on this forum. Can you look at the pdf screen shot of the publish data? I am sort of questioning the wisdom of posting that sort of pdf in the forum, but will follow you lead. I will watch for postings as to what I should do next.
    Phil