Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Help with enhancing or replacing background to a photo

Hello

I'm just getting to grips with Photoshop - but still at the beginner stage - and very foolishly offered to enhance a photo for a family member ... (see attached) .... a task which I've discovered I'm not yet capable of.

As can be seen, it's main subject is a horse, but it has reins and edges such as the mane which need to remain intact, which I can't work around successfully.

The background - foliage etc and sky - needs to be enriched, better colours, darker sky, for example - or replaced completely by a new background - perhaps fields, or countryside, with or without sky.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horse.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	87328

If anyone out there could give me detailed (step by step idiot's guide level!) instructions as to how to do this - many thanks!

If anyone would do it for me - many thanks plus I'd be happy to pay a small fee, or .... put your link on my websites (www.memoriesandimaginations.com (writings), www.careerconsultuk.com (advice site), and a soon to be launched photography site www.imagesandimaginations.com (already on-line but empty of photos).

Clive
    IP

Default Re: Help with enhancing or replacing background to a photo

There are many, many PS tutorials on the subject do a Google search. Here is one to get on with have a look here: http://www.photoshopessentials.com/p...photoshop-sky/
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

always replace with natur backgrounds
    IP

I'd recommend you ditch Photoshop and take a look at Xara Designer
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

For me, the image doesn't have enough clarity to do a masking separation. It is much easier to draw the shape in Xara. Mostly because your better at estimating the shape in weak areas. I would draw the shape and cut to horse from the image. Then save as a PNG/alpha. As a transparent graphic, it is possible to load into Photoshop, and make a selection from the transparency. Then you can paint the weak areas within the selection. Just a different approach. The Xara separation will have a clear transparent area resolution in a clean selection.

Rich
    IP

look on Youtube for masking help, it took me less than 5mins to do the attached image but it would take many hours to explain in a simple way how I did it. All the tools you need is in Photoshop.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horse-1.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	91241
    IP

I agree with RTW1 that the solution, simple as it may be, would require at the very least an hour to explain. However, you might want to start with Layers->Overlay then playing with it with Image->Adjustments->Vibrance (try increasing the vibrance a bit) and then going to Image->Adjustments->Highlights/Shadows. There are a lot of tutorials on the Internet and i'm pretty sure you'll come across one within two minutes of searching.
    IP

pixels are not so clear as they should be.according to me you should change vector image first.
    IP

I see RTW1 has been fast on his horse. Here is what can be achieved in Xara.

Sammy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horse Head.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	94444  
    IP