Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default February 2012 Fabulous Fractals by Angelize Guest Tips and Trick Tutorial

Hello Xara Xoners and TalkGraphicers!

Angelize has a guest tutorial, Fabulous Fractals in Tips and Tricks this month on The Xara Xone! Learn how to do just about anything with fractal fills!

And this is the place to show off your new-found fractal skills, ask Angelize any questions about her tutorial and of course tell her how much you appreciate her contribution.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Default Re: February 2012 Fabulous Fractals by Angelize Guest Tips and Trick Tutorial

Frances, pardon the expression, but you kicked butt with your tutorial. Thanks! I really like the idea of offering two honest-to-gosh tutes a month...let's see if this is sustainable!

—g

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: February 2012 Fabulous Fractals by Angelize Guest Tips and Trick Tutorial

Thank you Barbara and Gary, I was and still am honoured to be the first guest tutor on the new Xone
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thank you Frances. Your tutorials are so clear and easy to follow. I can now make clouds, steam and smoke. All I have to do now is dream up something to draw ( is this were they say watch this space?) Oh well we will see what happens.
    PS. like your new avatar

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Thank you Tabian, I'm glad you enjoyed the tutorial and learned something from it. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with what you have learned.

As for my avatar I just provided the face, my husband took the photo and GaryB retouched it for me so I really should thank them both!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Ah so you have been Xarashopped. Verry hip..

I loved both tutorials, well done to you both
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Thanks, Frank!

As the years go by, I think a human foible becomes a lot more evident: one starts to believe they’ve learned everything there is to learn, they insist on teaching everyone what they’ve learned, and they stop learning. Then they join TalkGraphics.

Frances, I want to thank you for your article, because I thought I knew everything about fractals, but I did not. You’ve created quite a diverse collection of textures I’d never had considered, because Xara only comes with two types of fractal math, while there’s almost two dozen distinctly different patterns that programmers have used over the years.

I just wanted you to know that I’m learning, I’m learning…and thanks again!

And if anyone is curious about the definition of “fractal”, I did a little research a couple of years ago—

What Is a Fractal?

Fractal geometry is based on mathematical equations, whose core is beyond the scope of a few human-understandable paragraphs! However, fractal geometry usually appears to have the following visual characteristics:

• Self-similarity Fractal designs branch with variations set by the mathematician writing the fractal math, but typically a fractal design repeats a basic structure within itself at smaller scales, branching from a main body in the design. This is why many fractals look like organic forms such as ferns, broccoli, and seashells—these designs in nature also obey fractal math.

• A recursive structure with irregularities As with self-similarity, fractals repeat, with variations, as they branch. If you’re familiar with Euclidean geometry, fractal math is too unpredictable when plotted to 2D space to be described in Euclidian geometric functions.

• Exist within a domain of 2D or 3D space Fractal math is used in several 3D programs to generate organic sculptures. KPT Frax4D, in fact, is an Adobe Standard plug-in that can generate fractal designs in 3D space. Fractals were once described by a mathematician using this analogy: if a square represents the number 2 and a cube represents the number 3, fractals live somewhere between these two integers.

By the way, Xaraist who are also into 3D modeling might want to check out XenoDream; it's pricey at $119, but this is a cottage industry and upgrades are free for life. What XenoDream can do for you is help build 3D fractal sculptures that can be exported in OBJ file format to Blender or other 3D program. Like Xara's fractals, this stuff can be very intricate and very organic in appearance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D-fractals.jpg 
Views:	832 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	87277

My Best,

—Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 16 February 2012 at 01:32 PM.

Nice tutorial Frances, great tricks in there!

Marc

Frances has already been asked back to present another Xara Xone Tips 'n' Trick tutorial in the future—and she has graciously agreed.

While we wait for this to happen, if anyone else would like to step up to the mic, and has something they'd like to present in tutorial form, that's what the Call for Entries is for on The Xone, and gary at xaraxone.com gets to my mailbox, too.

My Best,

—Gary