Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: List your favorite fonts and why!

Hi Frances.

I leave a couple always installed and few sitting in a folder just in case. I like Nevison Casual the most and have found use for Holiday Springs a few times.

Nevison I like simply because it is similar to notes I read in the margins of a book we got from my wife's grandfather (not his writing however). There is similarities in mainly the lower case 'o' and the loop in the 'k'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nevison.png 
Views:	150 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	88132

Holiday Springs I like simply because of its playful look.

Name:	Holiday Springs.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	88133

Take care, Mike

Ok. How about script fonts?

My favorite is Snell Roundhand. I think it is an elegant script. Now, Gary will likely know the designer and I fear I am painting a theme here...

Name:	snell.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	88134

Take care, Mike

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

One of my favourite script fonts is BlackJack I have found a few different uses for it. I'll bet Gary probably knows another name for this one too

Name:	blackjack.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	88135
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

No, that's actually BlackJack, the proper name, and I bought it on sale along with one of Nick Curtis' fonts about two years ago.

My Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Ok. How about script fonts?

My favorite is Snell Roundhand. I think it is an elegant script. Now, Gary will likely know the designer ...
    Yep, I'd know Matthew Carter's work a mile and 20 picas away, Mike.

Hint: if you're remotely curious about a font's creator, do a search with something like "Who designed Snell Roundhand". It was the third Google hit, and from there, you can learn about the creator on wikipedia.

And then done $5 a year to wikipedia because these people continue to tank as a volunteer organization, and they're easily as useful as PBS.

—g

For a Christmas I have always liked Christmas Card font. To me it just has a Christmas look. I couldn't find out much about it other than it is offered by Harold's Fonts, and available from dafont.com, Font Squirrel also has at least one of his fonts. It is a display kind of a font and has a calligraphic old world look about it. http://www.dafont.com/christmas-card.font
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Larry that is also one of my favorite fonts. It is based on the hand lettered opening titles for the movie "It's a Wonderful Life".
    http://www.ufonts.com/fonts/christmas-card.html
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks for that info Bill. I just looked that up and that font looks the same or at least very close to the hand lettering in that opening.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

No one has yet mentioned any Blackletter fonts. Two notable Blackletter fonts and Schwabacher and Fraktur. By the way, there are two Cyrillic fonts Moyenage and Blonde Fraktur, that include Cyrillic as well as Roman characters.
    Last edited by Myrtonos; 08 April 2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: glitch

Hi and welcome to TalkGraphics, Myrtonos—

No one has mentioned Blackletter fonts perhaps because no one has a favorite, and this is the thread for posting favorite fonts and adding an explanation. Would you like to educate us here and tell us why you like these two typefaces?

Blackletter is exceptionally formal—weddings, official documents—and metal bands (!).

Um, Myrtonos, you've just joined as a member of TalkGraphics, and I suspect you didn't completely read the member policies about posting links with your first post.

It's bad form; it usually looks as though someone joined just to advertise and divert traffic from tg, so if you want to show a font sample, as a new member post a bitmap image, okay? This will keep other Moderators from criticizing you.

That said, Moyenage is a nice example of how someone is reworking the Blackletter letterform into something much more legible than, say, 300 years ago.

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 08 April 2012 at 03:08 PM.