Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default The Font Dating GamE: Learn about proper type pairs

We've had a little discussion on our forum concerning, "What headline font goes with which body copy typeface?", and although we can make recommendations, it might be more fun for you to learn about typographic compatibilities in the form of an online game, like Type Connection.

This is good, interactive stuff, for discovering what san serifs go with serif fonts, about font weights and other educational stuff that might make you a better designer!

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: Typography Resources

Font Genius is another good tool for font IDentification. It is a Mac OS X app.

http://fontgear.net/fontgenius.html

more info: http://blog.fontgear.net/tag/font-genius/

Apologies if it has been mentioned before, nothing showed up in a quick search.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi Gingerbeardman,

Thanks for these links. It's also good to note that this software, as well as the rest of this company's offerings come in both Mac and Windows versions. And while they are not free the pricing seems reasonable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default A font that has potential logo clipart!

There are places online that I am loathe to even visit because they flagrantly offer illegal downloads of commercial fonts.

now, I thought fontspace.com fits the pirate profile, but I did a search on "Garamond" on the site and not one commercial font turned up.

And so I can recommend this freeware typeface designed quite a while ago by Nick Curtis: Nick's Deco Dings. There are over 26 little illustrations in the font, and aside from them looking Retro, I think all you'd need to do is add text to make a logo fror yourself or a client.

Nick's Deco Dings at FontSpace

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deco-dings.jpg 
Views:	663 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	92789

If you can find Nick's fonts legitimately, go for them. They're clean and professionally coded. Nick used to be a charitable guy and I have several dozen of his free fonts, but in the years past, he has de-posted his free stuff because jerks were taking the free fonts and charging for them on their own pathetic websites.

My Best,

Gary

Thanks for listing up the font identification tool. One of my client need to identify his website's font style!

Quote Originally Posted by Emilycarl View Post
    Thanks for listing up the font identification tool. One of my client need to identify his website's font style!
    Welcome. But seeing how you are digging up a 5 year-old thread, I hope you are not just ...

Just look at the CSS to identify the font, then. Unless it is a graphic, it will be listed there.

Thanks for information, really good option available i use it when i need.
    but really thanks to increase my knowledge.

Hi Jaydenwhite—

Can you share with us what you use typography for the most in your work?

Web? Offset printing? PDF documents? Check forging?

TYA,
    Gary

FontGenius I note (along with these very late posts) is available for Windows as well. http://fontgear.net/fontgenius.html

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    FontGenius I note (along with these very late posts) is available for Windows as well. http://fontgear.net/fontgenius.html
    Another font identification engine:

Not as popular or sophisticated as MyFonts' WTF engine, there's Identifont, a web-based lookup thingy, as we Pros call it.

The thing I like about this site is the layout, to almost immediately see intelligently-chosen font alternatives, sample right there and a brief history of the chosen typeface. Every blue moon, I can font a font on the web by author, but not font name.

Example: Look up Roger Excoffon sometime. You'll be surprised by the popular fonts he created in his lifetime.

Name:  inside out guy.png
Views: 1199
Size:  6.5 KB