Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: WYS is not WYG

Default WYS is not WYG

Hi,

I've just upgraded from Xtreme4 and Web Designer 6 to Photo & Graphic Designer 7 and Web Designer 7 Premium respectively

A couple of major glitches have emerged in the first day. First the Paste in Place function doesn't work for text: it is pasted to the head of the text column instead

Also I can't make changes to my text button links. After clicking Apply to assign a link, they revert back to something else, usually the Index button

Really strangely, the text problem 'skipped' to affect the Xtreme 4 and WD7 software

I've reinstalled the upgrades 3 times and the problem still persists. It's hard to see what is wrong - here's a sample page. Can anybody advise please?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: WYS is not WYG

IIRC the solution for the links is to un-repeat the block, set the links then revert back to repeat on all pages.

You might find it convenient to copy the block, delete repeating objects and then set the links and reposition/repeat on all pages
    Last edited by Drwyd; 10 February 2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: More info

Thanks for your suggestion,

I think I understand and will try/report early next week, the next chance to look after a working weekend

Maybe the problem is that I have two different main text button menus for two halves of the site - with some glitch arisiing due to accidental repetition

Still not sure why the text paste-in-place problem is occuring though

Paul

Still not sure why the text paste-in-place problem is occuring though
    Could you elaborate on that, not sure I understand by "head of column" ?

Maybe the problem is that I have two different main text button menus for two halves of the site
    I believe it's a repeating group bug

Yes, the text link problem was because I'd accidentally grouped the list - thank you for pointing that out

Re the text, the problem is that the copied text doesn't paste back in place - for example when creating a different coloured mouse-over layer

If you copy the red text in the revised DEMO-1 file then paste in place, you'll see that it ends up in a different location
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just a thought to try and visualise whats going on, why are their so many copies of some of the repeating groups on the MouseOff layer? - the "Natural Grid" object shows 3 times as a repeating object on the same layer? so do a few others - if you want to repeat the object does it not just need the one reference? - are all the blank rectangles and text boxes meant to be their? - all i can see from here is the one "page" should their be others?

Also its seems an awfully large .web file (nearly 8meg) with just one pic?

if i'm missing the bigger picture here i'll take a few steps back and bow to superior knowledge!

Hi BytheSea
    If you copy the red text in the revised DEMO-1 file then paste in place, you'll see that it ends up in a different location
    I'm unable to produce any odd behaviour with your file. Where exactly does your text relocate to ?

Ramshackle is quite right about your redundant objects.

Yes, named and shamed on that one! I don't know why, but some objects seem to self-paste - or at least I'm doing it accidentally without knowing. I will have a look through and a cull of redundant objects before going live with the revised site

Here's a sample of what the relocation problem looks like. The original text is shown in red and the paste-in-place text in blue. Interestingly, 1 of the 3 examples on the top right hand side pastes to the original place
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PASTE SAMPLE - 1.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	87259  

I believe that if you edit on a page that already has a repeat object placed on it, only that particular object is edited, tell it to repeat again on all pages it will "overlay" on top of the exisiting one, (and if its the same size etc you will not notice it) not delete and replace it - that may explain why you have repetition of the same object.

if i get into that cycle, I delete all but the one I am working on, then tell it to repeat on all pages.

Ray

Aha, I see what you are doing now.

When you select part of a text area and either copy/paste or cut/paste The text that is pasted is set to the top left of the original area.

Are you trying to change the text colour or create a roll-over effect ?