Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Is there a way to change thumbnail image associated with a web page link?

I frequently submit webpage links online, and in some cases I am able to select which thumbnail I want to display with that link, ie with Facebook. However, most of the time I am not able to select a thumbnail, and the image that is displayed is usually the large blank rectangle that is underneath my images, or some other geometric image - never one of the jpegs that is on that page. Does anyone know if I can designate a jpeg thumbnail to be associated with a specific page on my website, so when I submit a link, you can see a relevant image and not a blank rectangle? Hope I explained that sufficiently.

Default Re: Is there a way to change thumbnail image associated with a web page link?

I know exactly what you are referring to. That's a good question and one for which I haven't a clue. I wonder if you asked someone at Facebook what determines the thumbnail image. And then report back to us.

Default Re: Is there a way to change thumbnail image associated with a web page link?

This . . . is an old thread. . . I sure hope you've figured it out by now.

If not:

I once was able to customize the thumbnail and message for my Blogger page by using an open graph generator.

Here's a couple of links to some generators, there are probably others:
    https://smallseotools.com/open-graph-generator/
    https://realfavicongenerator.net/soc...8#.XVXh8-hKiUk

Enter your info, grab your picture, enter the image URL, etc., then copy the created HTML code.

On Blogger, I posted my data straight into the HTML, on Xara you'll need to copy and paste it into "HTML Code (head)" once you get it from the generator.

Go to Utilities>Web Properties>"Website" Tab>"HTML Code (head)" Button: then paste it into the dialog box after you click the button.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bandicam 2019-08-15 16-48-29-017.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	124791

Facebook caches these types of link thumbnails, so after you have added the code and updated your site, you'll need to "scrape" Facebooks servers of the old link thumbnail, otherwise, your new one WILL NOT SHOW UP.

Once your site is updated with the code, go to this link:
    https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/sharing/

Enter your site's URL, and click "Debug": test your new thumbnail by sharing it via Facebook Messenger or sharing it on your wall.

The only reason I found this thread is because I am trying to do the same exact thing you were.

This tutorial is all theory, based on my past experience with Blogger: an "experiment" if you will.

I've never tried it, I don't know anyone who has, I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF IT WILL WORK, and I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a coder; but I plan to try out the same method this evening on my own website because my thumbnail is not what I want.

If I find a thread that has a proper answer, I will link it in this thread.

If my method works, I'll confirm it in this thread.

Peace be with you,

-Braden

It works.

Instructions can be found here.