Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to manage a amendment to a text field on multipage website

I have a website created using Web Designer 16 for selling a number software products. I need advice how do I manage texts showing Prices and Version when they change. Everytime I update a product version I have to manually change each and every instance of the version on all page. Is there a better way to manage such updates?

Default Re: How to manage a amendment to a text field on multipage website

Quote Originally Posted by Joginder View Post
    I have a website created using Web Designer 16 for selling a number software products. I need advice how do I manage texts showing Prices and Version when they change. Every time I update a product version I have to manually change each and every instance of the version on all page. Is there a better way to manage such updates?
    Jodinger, XWDPv16 and earlier do not have the Live Copy function that XDPX has.

What you could do is download the trial XDPX and create a number of Live Copy Groups in that and then copy it into your XWDP design, one for each item. You change the text and then Clone and place into your different locations.
    If you run out of copies, drop another batch into a different design file, change the text and then drop back into your master design.

This all works as Xara retains all the same code base for its functions across all products and simply obfuscates them by constraining the User Interface.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Jodinger, XWDPv16 and earlier do not have the Live Copy function that XDPX has.

What you could do is download the trial XDPX and create a number of Live Copy Groups in that and then copy it into your XWDP design, one for each item. You change the text and then Clone and place into your different locations.
    If you run out of copies, drop another batch into a different design file, change the text and then drop back into your master design.

This all works as Xara retains all the same code base for its functions across all products and simply obfuscates them by constraining the User Interface.

Acorn
    I am very confused regarding versions of Xara. I own Xara Web Designer Premium 16.2.0.56957 DL x64 is XPDX better than this?

Xara Designer Pro has the Live Copies feature Acorn was talking about while Web Designer does not.

I am very confused regarding versions of Xara. I own Xara Web Designer Premium 16.2.0.56957 DL x64 is XPDX better than this?
    XDPX is the daddy of all the other Desktop applications combined, which is why is costs much more.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Info Re: How to manage a amendment to a text field on multipage website

I have a JS alternative.

In the Website > HTML Code (head), place the new values to show on all pages:
    Code:
    <script>
    var newPrice="£123.45";
    var newVersion = "16.3.0.12345"
    </script>
    In the Website > HTML Code (body), place the JavaScript to make the changes:
    Code:
    <script>
    var priceElements = document.getElementsByClassName("showPrice");
        for(var i = priceElements.length - 1; i >= 0; --i)
        {
            priceElements[i].innerHTML = newPrice;
        }

var versionElements = document.getElementsByClassName("showVersion");
        for(var i = versionElements.length - 1; i >= 0; --i)
        {
            versionElements[i].innerHTML = newVersion;
        }
    </script>
    On the design pages add text placeholders (e.g., Price, Version) and for each type include the Name (showPrice, showVersion). These can be any text format you like.

The following demonstration file, two pages only, and no Variants checked, JS-Price & Version Global Change.xar, might help in understanding the above.

There is one bug that I would appreciate help with: all changed values drop down a line...

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I have a JS alternative.

In the Website > HTML Code (head), place the new values to show on all pages:
    Code:
    <script>
    var newPrice="£123.45";
    var newVersion = "16.3.0.12345"
    </script>
    In the Website > HTML Code (body), place the JavaScript to make the changes:
    Code:
    <script>
    var priceElements = document.getElementsByClassName("showPrice");
        for(var i = priceElements.length - 1; i >= 0; --i)
        {
            priceElements[i].innerHTML = newPrice;
        }

var versionElements = document.getElementsByClassName("showVersion");
        for(var i = versionElements.length - 1; i >= 0; --i)
        {
            versionElements[i].innerHTML = newVersion;
        }
    </script>
    On the design pages add text placeholders (e.g., Price, Version) and for each type include the Name (showPrice, showVersion). These can be any text format you like.

The following demonstration file, two pages only, and no Variants checked, JS-Price & Version Global Change.xar, might help in understanding the above.

There is one bug that I would appreciate help with: all changed values drop down a line...

Acorn
    Many thanks for the replies.

I come across 'Smart Fields' functionality in XARA Designer Pro X that meets my requirements. You define a table of of Field names and corresponding values, then insert the field any number of times on multiple pages. Once you update the field value in the table then all values of that field are automatically updated.

I come across 'Smart Fields' functionality in XARA Designer Pro X that meets my requirements. You define a table of of Field names and corresponding values, then insert the field any number of times on multiple pages. Once you update the field value in the table then all values of that field are automatically updated.
    That is correct. Smart Fields are new and I am avoiding them at present as I think they are buggy: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...686-Smart-Text. The major one to watch out for is the Delete button; this removes all the Smart Fields everywhere. Why?

Acorn