Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello, all!

Thomas Sorrill (of Xara fame) has kindly offered us (the Painter Forum) an opportunity to have a Swap forum of a similar nature to the Xara Swap forum.

link to the Xara Swap Forum. . .be careful some of those brushes are pretty tantalizing..you might be tempted to try Xara X

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

but reviewing the postings up through jan 4 2001, (and beyond)I observed that to date, we haven't been posting too many nozzles or textures or papers to share with others. (by posting i mean adding file attachments that you give us permission to use ---- which is distinct from giving a link to another web site that houses such painter goodies)

and quite possibly, no one has posted any attachments because I have not lead any such initiative with my own postings [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] . and perhaps you may have feared such posting was inappropriate. . . nonsense! by all means, feel free to share any such nozzles, patterns, papers, textures you like. . . as long as they are yours to share. . .

Ok I have to confess here there is so much already available in Painter. . . I get lost playing with what is there already and making my own. . . well to date . . . I normally make do with what i have.

So the question before us is,

Do we want a swap forum for Painter goodies? I do know from previous posts that there are those forum members who have been interested in collecting more Painter goodies. (and let's not talk about the certain well meaning sites that offer goodies that are nearly impossible to download) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If you'll notice, the creators of the individual Xara brushes are given credit in the swap forum. I think a Painter version of the Xara Swap forum could be a cool addition here for other visitors to enjoy.

If you feel postively or negatively about the idea, please post here. (or email me. . . but be sure to make the subject line something that sounds like a painter question. .. none of those You could make thousand$. . .. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] seriously. .. the spam in my box is growing a life of it's own. .. spontaneous generation of spam. (eek! close the email box... then the next day . . . open it and boom! more spam and scientists of yore thought spontaneous generation of mice was bad. . .). ..I sometimes miss messages from real people because of the spambots working overtime grrr)

Thanks for your time and insights,

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on April 22, 2001 at 11:08 PM.]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Hello, all!

Thomas Sorrill (of Xara fame) has kindly offered us (the Painter Forum) an opportunity to have a Swap forum of a similar nature to the Xara Swap forum.

link to the Xara Swap Forum. . .be careful some of those brushes are pretty tantalizing..you might be tempted to try Xara X

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

but reviewing the postings up through jan 4 2001, (and beyond)I observed that to date, we haven't been posting too many nozzles or textures or papers to share with others. (by posting i mean adding file attachments that you give us permission to use ---- which is distinct from giving a link to another web site that houses such painter goodies)

and quite possibly, no one has posted any attachments because I have not lead any such initiative with my own postings [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] . and perhaps you may have feared such posting was inappropriate. . . nonsense! by all means, feel free to share any such nozzles, patterns, papers, textures you like. . . as long as they are yours to share. . .

Ok I have to confess here there is so much already available in Painter. . . I get lost playing with what is there already and making my own. . . well to date . . . I normally make do with what i have.

So the question before us is,

Do we want a swap forum for Painter goodies? I do know from previous posts that there are those forum members who have been interested in collecting more Painter goodies. (and let's not talk about the certain well meaning sites that offer goodies that are nearly impossible to download) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If you'll notice, the creators of the individual Xara brushes are given credit in the swap forum. I think a Painter version of the Xara Swap forum could be a cool addition here for other visitors to enjoy.

If you feel postively or negatively about the idea, please post here. (or email me. . . but be sure to make the subject line something that sounds like a painter question. .. none of those You could make thousand$. . .. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] seriously. .. the spam in my box is growing a life of it's own. .. spontaneous generation of spam. (eek! close the email box... then the next day . . . open it and boom! more spam and scientists of yore thought spontaneous generation of mice was bad. . .). ..I sometimes miss messages from real people because of the spambots working overtime grrr)

Thanks for your time and insights,

Athena

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on April 22, 2001 at 11:08 PM.]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Hi Athena,
    The idea sounds good. A swap forum may be an interesting resource, specially for new folks.
    I also tend to wing it and use whatever I have on hand or make something on the fly.

Regards,
    Greg
    IP

but i don't have any nozzles or papers to share.

guess i'm going to have to scanning my neighborhood [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

'66
    IP

It's ok Stecyk, I don't either. I know that some people out there love to collect items like butterflies, photosohp filters, and painter goodies.

And as a former photoshop filter and plugin collector (let me clarify here I do not own adobe photoshop .. I DO own Corel Photopaint, JASC Paintshop Pro, and of course Painter) I understand the compulsion to try to get the complete set of filters (for just in case).

And arguably there are painter users who would like to add to their library of papers, and nozzles available to them.

During my day I barely have the time to peruse the wealth of items that come with painter itself. . . much less trawl the web to find collections of nozzles or papers.

(while I have tried creating my own brush once or twice, I doubt I saved them. . i've never even tried to build a nozzle wheras in Xara X it is really easy (as in just seconds and the click of a mouse) to build an impromptu brush).

So the painter swap section may be something that we build towards at our own pace. No need for anyone to spend a radical amount of time building brushes and paper. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It's just that since alot of us aren't mind readers,I thought it would be nice to ask about adding something like that in the future. . .

Ideally, we'd have assembled a collection worth visiting before we open such a section.

Looks like this may turn itself into a tutorial in the near future. hehehehe we'll see what zany and useful stuff we can put together.

Athena

:

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on April 23, 2001 at 10:55 AM.]
    Athena
    IP

Hi all,

It might be a great exercise for someone who hasn't much experience building brushes, and who does have the ability to be concise and organized in their writing, to take a stab at building one interesting brush and writing some brief notes about it. After the brief notes, they could share the brush by writing down the "recipe" using the format example below (for Painter 6, where the most interesting variety is available, or adapting the format to fit earlier versions where some great brushes can also be built).

Using the "recipe", other Painter users can also get some experience creating a custom brush variant by applying the settings and saving the custom variant with a unique name not used already by Painter. Here's the format with a few of the items filled in to show how it looks. Others just say (fill in settings) to indicate there should be some there.

First name the Brush type and default variant used as the SOURCE on which to build the new and interesting variant (with the default settings restored before beginning - go to the Brushes palette Variant menu and click Restore Default Variant).

Brush Popup list: (name of brush type)
    Brush Variant Popup list: (name of default brush variant)

List each section name (i.e., General, Size, Spacing, Angle.. etc.). Under each section name, list all of the settings for the new variant. Example:

GENERAL
    Dab Type: Captured
    Stroke Type: Single
    Method: Cover
    Subcategory: Soft Cover
    Opacity: 100%

SIZE
    (fill in settings)

SPACING
    (fill in settings)

ANGLE
    (fill in settings)

BRISTLE (greyed out/not applicable)

IMPASTO
    (fill in settings)

EXPRESSION
    Size: Velocity
    All others None or greyed out/not applicable
    Direction: 0 degrees

WELL
    (fill in settings)

AIRBRUSH (greyed out/not applicable)

RAKE (greyed out/not applicable)

RANDOM
    Jitter: 3.25
    All others greyed out/not applicable

WATER (greyed out/not applicable)

CLONING
    Clone Color: box unchecked
    All others greyed out/not applicable)

MOUSE
    (fill in settings)

COLOR VARIABILITY
    (fill in settings)

In the Painter Forum at In Depth Discussions, some of us spent a couple of weeks creating and sharing recipes for custom brush variants and it was great fun. We all learned a lot and I'm very happy that after all these years of using Painter I finally dug in really deep with brush creation and am no longer baffled or intimidated by the process. Up until then, I'd mostly stuck to the normal altering of brushes as all of us probably do when painting.. and saved only a limited number of not very complex brush variants.

I find this far more valuable that getting a collection of brushes that someone else made and still being relatively ignorant of the potential. In other words, I like to "be taught to fish" rather than depending on someone to supply me with fish. It's very freeing and again, a lot of fun.

Just a thought if anyone's interested. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Jinny,

Thank you for the painter brush formula notation template. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

and RE:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I like to "be taught to fish" rather than depending on someone to supply me with fish. It's very freeing and again, a lot of fun. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree completely.

Athena

and yes someone is always interested, at least me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Athena
    IP

Athena,

This is something that can be done individually and/or done as a group with no deadline, just taking time and enjoying it, then sharing whatever turns up.

We found in the Painter Forum at IDD that once one person introduced a new brush recipe, it stirred our curiosity enough to get us involved right away. Maybe if there's time, I can post a brush recipe and let you all build it to keep for yourselves. Once you find out how fun it is.. you'll want to do more.. methinks.

Don't anyone hold your breath waiting for me to post a recipe because there's no extra time around here right now and may not for a while. I just have tons of ideas that get ahead of me.

(... or then I could surprise you! shhhh....)

How about surprising me instead?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

I have tons of patterns I have made, both regular and transparent.

I also have quite a few objects and papers I have made.

I wouldn't mind sharing them, but always figured like me most people would rather make their own.

web page
    IP

Judi,

those are lovely images on your site (wonderful to see your brother's work [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ). And the laces and ornamental borders are beautiful.

the idea behind this question was that painter has many modular ways to use its tools, from building your own brushes to patterns to papers to nozzles.

and i had seen one or two requests months ago from people who like to collect such assets. I'm going to post a brush that I just recently made (this week) because the tutorial i had planned had been begging for a new brush. . . I couldn't find one that I liked in the set that came with painter and since we were on the topic of building brushes in here I thought I'd put a brush together.

it's . .. .an interesting brush. . . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] hopefully someone else will find it useful too.

I'm going to add the creation of the brush to the tutorial but for the meantime I"ll add the brush in a new topic.

If you do decide to bring some stuff here, I'd suggest starting with one new topic and just adding a post for each attachment.

Athena

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on April 28, 2001 at 09:07 PM.]
    Athena
    IP