Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default New User Needs HELP/Info

I have been maintaining a large site for a fishing club that I belong to for a number of years and want to replace it with a more modern functional and downsized somewhat. www.dwfonline.org It is in FrontPage and I am aware that it's only a matter of time before Microsoft stops developing FrontPage extensions for the server software needed to run FP sites. Some hosts have already stopped hosting them. I have been playing with trial versions of Wd7Premier and have been impressed so far.

My main concern is that we have 2 people with access to the site for updating, etc. It's pretty simple if my counterpart modifies the site, I can log on to the site and download any changes to the site to my computer and vice-versa.. With this system, we both always have the current site on our computers. I assume that we will need 2 licenses for the software but since this is an organization, can they be registered to the club so that if one of us leaves the software can be moved to a different computer??

Not sure that this is the place to ask this but with a trial version, I don't have access to Support, By the way, this Forum is one of the reasons I am having the club switch to WD7P.

Mike

Default Re: New User Needs HELP/Info

Welcome to TalkGraphics Mike

Yes, you will need two licenses and unfortunately, WD7P does not support group editing. But you can share the document file with another user. It's low tech but it works.

I use www.yousendit.com, a free/paid ftp website that lets you upload a file up to 100MB to their server and then sends the recipient a download link. I use this site professionally so I have a paid subscription, and it only costs about $6 a month if you subscribe.

So whenever you or your co-designer make a change you can send the document, or just a revised page, to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    [B][SIZE="3"][SIZE="4"]...I am aware that it's only a matter of time before Microsoft stops developing FrontPage extensions for the server software needed to run FP sites. Some hosts have already stopped hosting them. I have been playing with trial versions of Wd7Premier and have been impressed so far.
    Hate to say it, Microsoft stopped all FP Extensions in about 1993 or so. They have been fully depreciated. Most/many hosts have already stopped hosting FP extensions already. It is only a matter of time for the remaining hosts because once they upgrade their server software, out go the FP extension support.

You would need to email Xara to inquire about license transfers. They, I think, would need to be involved in the scenario of installed copies because of permitted number of installs.

Gary has it for joint editing. It is low tech, but certainly doable. Make sure that each person is clear as to when they are finished and the file won't be touched by them once sent and until they hear back.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Hate to say it, Microsoft stopped all FP Extensions in about 1993 or so.
    Actually it was in 2003 that Microsoft stopped developing Front Page and a few years later they stopped support for the extensions.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

You may want to consider signing up for a free Dropbox account (www.dropbox.com) and storing your Xara website files there. Then both you and your partner can have access to website files without having to e-mail them back and forth to each other. I use this method for my websites so that I can access them both at work and home. Of course, you will both need a copy of Xara software.
    Last edited by zee; 06 February 2012 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Actually it was in 2003 that Microsoft stopped developing Front Page and a few years later they stopped support for the extensions.
    Oops. At least I got the "3" correct. I meant 2003. The fingers got ahead of the ol' brain.

There is a company still developing/maintaining extensions, at least according to the Expression Web forum chatter I have read a couple times. I use EW and so frequent the MS site at times.

Take care, Mike