Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Design fees

Default Design fees

I've searched but unable to find any posts relating to web design fees. What is a standard rate ( if there is a standard rate ) for designing a site for clients? Should the client be charged by the hour or a set fee per page for the web design? I'm currently building a site for a client that started out expecting it to be a 10 page site and it has quickly grown to over 40 pages. The client has not provided any content but fortunately I'm well versed in his industry and able to do the necessary research to come up with content but need advice on how to charge him in this type ofmsituation?

Default Re: Design fees

Hi like any business what you charge must reflect A) the reward you expect for the work carried out B) covering of any overheads you incur in carrying out that work.

If you design as a 'hobby' then you won't realistically have any overheads to cover and your'time' spent will be your own so your charges will be very low. If you are starting up a new business then realistically assess how much productive time you spend(as opposed to experimenting time) on the job and charge accordingly. Once you have carried out a selection of types of sites and worked out the work involved for you to carry out distinct operations that may be requested by a client you can then start quoting "per page" prices. As you develop you will need to buy other software etc which costs will need to be recovered by charging a certain amount per job.

Hope this helps from an overall business perspective rather than a XWD perspective.

Ken

http://goodkarmahost.com/topics/advi...-design-rates/
    http://goodkarmahost.com/topics/free...-design-rates/

Not fixed prices what you could charge but some reading about what all to consider.
    You could always look at spec work sites (like 99designs) and see what they deliver for the buck
    be aware, not to become a ware.

From the perpective of a potential cleint I would say something that a customer can roughly set a budget to.

Thank You everyone, I appreciate the feedback as well as the web links with very helpful content. Great product and a great support team on this forum...Thank you!

I was browsing and found this.
    It definitely does depend on a lot of factors. As a start up designer I think a rough guide about a $100 per page is a good start to throw at
    a potential client. As you have been supplying all the content then that may climb quite quickly. You may want to switch to an hourly rate for searching and copy placement. but go here and see what a full blown graphics house charges and maybe get an Idea. http://www.webpagefx.com/How-much-should-web-site-cost.html

Martin

Here i have found one website you can get your answers and information from this site : [spam deleted by moderator]
    Last edited by gwpriester; 11 February 2012 at 12:26 PM.