Hi Folks!

I know that some of you are already using 3D modeling programs along with Xara, and I think that some of you may be intrigued with the idea of using a 3D modeling program with Xara. In previous posts in the XaraXone fourm, Gare has shown how useful it can be to trace over your own modeling work and how to use a modeling program learn more about how photorealistic lighting and shadows work.

For the month of February 2012 you can add three 3D programs to your toolbox for free. DAZ is offering DAZ Studio Pro, Bryce Pro & Hexagon for FREE in both PC and Mac versions.

DAZ offers lots of free and low cost readymade models to get you started and there are lots more out on the web.

If you haven't seen Bryce in a while DAZ has worked on it and made lots of improvements. Hexagon is a full featured modeling program.

You will need to create a DAZ account (free) and then buy the programs for $0.00. They will email you the registration numbers. These are 32bit apps and if you are running 64 bit Vista or Windows 7 to avoid any problems with dependencies, you should install using the compatibility options set to XP Service pack 2. (For example: Right click on Hexagon_2.5.1.79_Win32.exe>Properties>Compatibilit y Tab>)

The DAZ press release says: "The free 3D software is available via download only on DAZ3D.com between now and February 29, 2012. The download is eligible for free updates and upgrade pricing on future versions of each product, a potential savings of hundreds of dollars."

To be able to get for free these great tools to help you improve and speed up your XARA work, well I just had to mention it.

(Disclosure: I have no affiliation with DAZ paid or volunteer.)

Barbara