Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Free 3D Modeling Progams - Great to use with Xara

Hi Folks!

I know that some of you are already using 3D modeling programs along with Xara, and I think that some of you may be intrigued with the idea of using a 3D modeling program with Xara. In previous posts in the XaraXone fourm, Gare has shown how useful it can be to trace over your own modeling work and how to use a modeling program learn more about how photorealistic lighting and shadows work.

For the month of February 2012 you can add three 3D programs to your toolbox for free. DAZ is offering DAZ Studio Pro, Bryce Pro & Hexagon for FREE in both PC and Mac versions.

DAZ offers lots of free and low cost readymade models to get you started and there are lots more out on the web.

If you haven't seen Bryce in a while DAZ has worked on it and made lots of improvements. Hexagon is a full featured modeling program.

You will need to create a DAZ account (free) and then buy the programs for $0.00. They will email you the registration numbers. These are 32bit apps and if you are running 64 bit Vista or Windows 7 to avoid any problems with dependencies, you should install using the compatibility options set to XP Service pack 2. (For example: Right click on Hexagon_2.5.1.79_Win32.exe>Properties>Compatibilit y Tab>)

The DAZ press release says: "The free 3D software is available via download only on DAZ3D.com between now and February 29, 2012. The download is eligible for free updates and upgrade pricing on future versions of each product, a potential savings of hundreds of dollars."

To be able to get for free these great tools to help you improve and speed up your XARA work, well I just had to mention it.

(Disclosure: I have no affiliation with DAZ paid or volunteer.)

Barbara
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Default Re: Free 3D Modeling Progams - Great to use with Xara

thanks
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks Barbara I downloaded and installed all 3 earlier today. Now I just have to see which I like better any of those or Blender. Of course I have messed around with all of them some time ago but I am still determined to learn Blender.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks Barbara. I downloaded all three apps yesterday. The 64bit and 32bit versions of DAZ Studio Pro were among the files in the download area of my account.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Thanks Barbara, I'll have a look when I can. I would also be interested in the comparisons of others between these and Blender.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hi Frances,

The products from DAZ are specialized 3D applications.

Daz Studio Pro provides features to work with people, animals, and other types of objects like clothing. It has the ability to pose the figures and to make adjustments to facial features.

Bryce Pro is designed to make it easy to create environments and scenes using trees, bushes, lightning, etc.

Hexagon is a modeling application that can use 3D primitives and other mesh objects.

All three work well together and there is an application that can send your Daz Studio work to ZBrush.

A sample render from Daz Studio using the Cartoon presets is included in the attachments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daz4.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	87105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bryce7-1.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	87106  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	genesis.png 
Views:	241 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	87108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hexigon.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	87107  

Last edited by Soquili; 03 February 2012 at 10:38 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I am downloading DazStudio to start I have always found drawing the human form difficult to get right so I'm hoping to be able to use Daz to create poseable models that I can use sort of like a digital artist's manikin. Even if I can create a bitmap image that I can import into Xara would be great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Hi Angelize—

DAZ Studio is sort of an inexpensive alternative to Smith Micro Poser. In fact, back when a 3rd party content provided called Zygote was making stuff for Poser, the two companies had a falling out, and DAZ started providing content for both Poser and for themselves via a virtual studio called DAZ Studio.

I believe, definitely YES, to your plans to pose figures and then draw over a render in Xara. DAZ Studio has no modeling tools, but it comes with Michael and Victoria, highly detailed "mannequins" you pose by dragging body parts or sliders. Then you render and export the bitmap of the scene.

Let's also not kid ourselves why DAZ Studio is free; it's the ploy Kodak might have used 30 years ago: give the cameras away for free—we'll make it back on film and processing. Check out DAZ's website. It's very easy to buzz through a couple hundred bucks buying wigs, makeup, props, and costumes for your free copy of DAZ Studio! To be fair, it's the same way with Poser.

I took a good look at Hexagon, it doesn't have a rendering engine, and actually looks quite like the modeling workspace in their Carrera product (formerly known as Ray Dream Designer a million years ago). I'm happy to report that anything you do model in Hexagon can be exported to OBJ and 3DS file formats and UV texture mapping is retained. Try loading the violin sample (which is very nice), and see what you can import in your existing program.

Bryce 7 shows the most work/improvement. Because Bryce has been the perennial orphan (like Poser), it's been owned by MetaCreations, then Corel for 15 minutes, and now DAZ—it must have been hard continuing to develop it.

But the rendering engine in Bryce is quite good; here's one of their sample files I rendered.

Name:	gold.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	87116

Anyone care to bring this into Xara and render it?

If you get into Bryce, I recommend that you set up overnight rendering sessions, because Bryce is a 32x app and the rendering engine slow and inefficient. But you can't beat the price, and if you need fairly photorealistic trees, Bryce is a good alternative to the entry level Vue program from Pixelogic.

—Gary

I remember getting Bryce as a freebie on the front of a magazine many years ago. I eventually bought a later version but never used it to its full potential.

The attached image is dated 1999 and was rendered on a pentium 166 (11 hours)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ant Hills.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	87118  

One thing I am thinking about trying is to model props in Blender and see if I can import them into Daz, but for now I am happy with my virtual manikins for creating illustrations with Xara.

Here is one I played with last night. nothing really special just a bit of experimentation

Name:	dztestdrawing.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	87123
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]