Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Large site problems

Hope somebody can advise - tried searching but didnt find anything. My site is just over 100 pages, nothing too complex but i cant really move and adjust pictures anymore, they just jump in huge steps instead of smoothly.

Particularly obvious if using filler tool to resize and rotate within a frame. Dont really want to break the site into little chunks as there will be a lot of linking issues to deal with which is kind of the reason for using a package in the first place.

Thought something had gone amiss with the programme but if I fire up a small 5 page site i can adjust the pictures as normal.

Default Re: Large site problems

system is i3 with 4gb and running windows 7

Your profile indicates you are using 'Web Designer Pro'. As there is no such version, could you mention the exact application and version you have installed please?

First thing to check is to optimise all JPEGs (under Utilities)
    Once done, save and close the program. When you restart and open your file, you will be working with optimised JPEGs in memory which will mean much less uncompressed megabytes for Xara to deal with.

However, 100 pages is still too many for graphical web sites by all accounts.

Sledger,
    Not to hijack this thread, but I am also getting tired of getting Out Of Memory errors. My site is 30MB, about 40 pages, it had been larger, but I still don't know if the error will pop up or not. I've optimized all jpgs, and have (I thought) enough RAM see attached. I end up having to close ALL open programs and sometimes will still get the error. I'll have to re-boot before I can upload ( and sometimes not even after re-booting). Using Designer Pro 6, Windows7 64 bit, 4Gb RAM, 3.0Ghz dual core processor. Any other suggestions other than breaking the site into smaller sites?

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture152.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	87095  

If you have used any Live Effects make a bitmap copy (CTRL+SHIFT+C) of the object then remove the LE object.
    Remember that Xara is a 32bit application and cannot utilise all memory available in 64bit systems.

I came across this old thread http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...emoval-utility and tried it again. Seems to work so far. In watching the progress of the export, for some reason it's different with this utility. Previously the progress bar was linear in movement (always moving up) and then would crash at different times. Now it gets to 22% and stays there a while, then jumps to uploading. Don't have an explanation but if it works I'll stay with it.

Jim

ok updated profile, registered in a hurry today on way out to work so using web design 7 premium. Site was using almost all of my memory then i optimised jpegs so memory use is down to 40% however still cant really use the programme as the graphical tools jump around as described in the original post.
    Last edited by Cyberleish; 03 February 2012 at 08:01 PM.

@ jimhanus: Yes, that's the same utility I linked to in my previous post. Glad it helped you.

@Cyberleish: See post#5 re LE's. Does this apply to you?

re LE's - not sure.

I have my pictures in photo objects, most are cropped, some with shadows, i note the originals stay full size in the bitmap gallery.

I have around 5 images per page but small, plus the background and a couple of very small graphics.

Not quite following the intructions. Are you saying make a bitmap of all my jpegs (or at least the ones where the original is much bigger then the cropped one on the page)?

site www.123snp.org

Steve is not saying to make bitmaps of all your JPEGs. JPEG is a bitmap.

There is an option in Utilities > Optimize all JPEGs. I think you may need to do this for each page. Any JPEG image is re-sampled to the publish resolution.

Many of us work with images shot with a digital camera. The actual image may be several megabytes. When you optimize the digital image, the resolution is reduced to 96dpi, Windows screen resolution and the file size of the image is also greatly reduced.

As an example, I imported a JPEG image that is 960 pixels wide with a resolution of 300dpi. The file size is 161K.

I reduced the image to 300 pixels wide, the size I want for my page. Even though the image is smaller, the file size stays the same and the resolution increases. But when the page is published, Xara will publish the JPEG at 96dpi.

The size of the published JPEG is only 8K (vs 161K). So if optimize this image I save 153K. And that is just for one image. If you have a large site, with lots of images, the amount of memory required is considerable. If you optimize your JPEGs, you free up a lot of memory and reduce the file size as well.

Shutting Xara down and reopening your document will also free up memory.

One caution. Keep your original images in a separate file at the original resolution in case you need to print the images or wish to make an image bigger. If you make an image at 96dpi larger, it will become fuzzy and loose its sharpness.