Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: help

when I try to import a bitmap - I tried .ppt and .psd, and both should work- I get a vertical line that I can select, but when I try to open it with the handles, it stretches from the top to the bottom of the workspace and I have to close the file. I tried with several, but I always get the same result.

I do something wrong, something very obvious, but I don't see it, probably because I am too close to it to focus and see it sharp and clear.

So: Help!

when I try to import a bitmap - I tried .ppt and .psd, and both should work- I get a vertical line that I can select, but when I try to open it with the handles, it stretches from the top to the bottom of the workspace and I have to close the file. I tried with several, but I always get the same result.

I do something wrong, something very obvious, but I don't see it, probably because I am too close to it to focus and see it sharp and clear.

So: Help!

Hello

A .Ppt is usually a Powerpoint file and there is no filter for this.

A.Psd is a Photoshop file and can be imported if it has no layers.

I was in a hurry and and wrote a mistake.

it should of course be .cpt from corel's photopaint.

As this .cpt didn't work, I tried save as a .psd in photopaint as I can't afford Photoshop. It was a simple bitmap, a scan of a painting I made, so I still don't understand...

I tried with a .psd file made in Photoshop by a friend of mine. No preview, no loading.

I CAN open jpeg and gif though.

I run Win 98 Snd and have never encountered this kind of problem before

[This message was edited by Erik Heyninck on January 25, 2001 at 02:31 AM.]

Erik,

I'm confused here. I regularly import and/or open photoshop files into Xara to work with. My photoshop files usually have multiple layers, and I have had no problems.

As for Powerpoint files, I find that if you copy from Powerpoint then paste into Xara it works. However, the files usually need some adjustment as they come into Xara with transparent boxes around text groups. I have encounted times when I had to copy from Powerpoint, paste into CorelDraw, then turn around and copy it from Draw, and paste into Xara. Not sure why, but it works.

I work on a Win98 platform.

Joan

Hello
    As far as I know Xara cannot deal with Photoshop layers. If you save your images with maximum back
    compatibilty, then Photoshop does generate a merged layer and perhaps Xara sees this.

In response to this thread I tried to open a layered document and could not.

Mike Engles

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Erik,

why in this world do you use PhotoShop? Get rid of it and you will get rid of all PS related problems. Try PhotoLine or anything else please, and read the thread 'Adobe rocks (get it?)'.

You have been trapped by one of Adobe's rotten features :-)

have fun uninstalling,

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

wish I could uninstall it, wish I could sell it and buy other apps in its place...I might even buy five Xara's instead...
    OK, I'll look at the app you recommend although I won't buy it immediately. First I have get a firmer grip on Xara's possibilities.

By the way: there is a Dutch magazine that not only gives Xara a great review and tells the story of how the Big One tried to smother it by buying it out of the market and used its features, BUT...they also put a trial of Xara on their CD as central feature of the month.

Maybe it's just a quirk of my save set-up in photoshop, but I can import a layered file, though it wont let you edit the individual layers, and the layers are still visible in ps from the saved file.