Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Special characters in Designer Pro

After copying the accented character [or whatever] into Xara, preview the page and view the source ... should have the code it used there would have thought
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Just out of curiosity I tried that and there is a code there for the character but I tried to use that code to no avail the character still does not display on the page so the windows character map is still the best solution. The Character map also shows you all the characters in each font so it's handy for that too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Yeah ... my bad ... special characters are converted to HTML codes. Not reversible it seems.

For example ALT+16 becomes ► in HTML. These are not Unicodes or ALT codes
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Glad this thread was here or I'd be Strange how an app that deals in text etc doesn't have this function - my basic html web text editor app has an 'insert special character'. I'm dumbfounded lol.

Thank you guys

For more such combinations the link is http://www.altcharactermap.co.nr/.
    Thank you also for the link - bookmarked
    Last edited by puw; 18 February 2015 at 04:43 PM. Reason: link quote

ñ or copy and paste this one Lynn.

Other than puw revitalizing this old thread, Gary, I think Lynn resolved this a few years ago

Agreed, but since then we have the Web Catalogue and the Font Awesome Symbol... utility as a trailblazer.
    This is a Dear Xara... topic I thought I had raised whereby the same approach for special characters (regardless of font in use) could be easily inserted (as text) in-line.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Actually, if ya want a Dear Xara thread...then start one because this is the wrong section.

Like in PagePlus (mentioned earlier in this old thread), because Windows provides alt codes only up to 255, Serif handles this by typing the unicode number followed by an alt+x keystroke. Then the Unicode number is exchanged to its Unicode equivalent for the font in use.

Mike

The easiest method is to simply open up the start menu (or start ugly icon barf if you're on windows 8) and search for 'CHAR'. A program called 'Character Map' should be the first one that pops up. It is a list of every standardized ASCII character. Select the icon with the mouse then push the 'SELECT' button and it will fill in the box at the bottom of the program. Hit the 'COPY' button to copy it to the text clipboard for pasting into Xara. If the ASCII shows up as gibberish or not at all, that means the font used does not have the extended ASCII character set and you must use another typeface.

I hope this helps...feel free to forget every special code forever.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Actually, if ya want a Dear Xara thread...then start one because this is the wrong section.
    Mike
    Mike, I said that I had raised it as such and was pointing to it for others for closure.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat