Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problem exporting .svg - Xtreme Pro 4

Hi everybody,

it's been a really long time since I was here last time ...
    I am still using Xara Xtreme Pro 4, since it does everything I need quite well and there never was the need for an update.

Recently, SVG became an issue for me, I am using it more and more in Webdesign.

XX4 has SVG-Export, though no import, but that is no problem.

I just created a document with about 15 layers.
    On each layer is a rather simple linedrawing with measurements

I disabled and hid every layer but one and exported this single drawing as .svg.

I noticed, that the filesize was way too big, >300kb which just could not be.

I experimented and found that I had to copy a single drawing, paste it into it's own document with no other layers and then save it.
    Bang, down to 12kb!

So is there a way that Xara (4.0 mind you!) can export a *single* layer only instead of all the layers that are hidden too?
    It would be so much more convenient to have all drawings in a single file.

Does this work in newer versions?

thanks for any help,

Cheers
    Wolfgang

Edit: I also tried a document with multiple pages with a single drawing on each. Same problem, *all* the hidden content of *all* pages are exported.

Default Re: Problem exporting .svg - Xtreme Pro 4

may be worth trying out a trial version of the latest version for this

in version 8, which I have, svg export will export only visible objects [all to one layer] - so I assume version 10 will but I can't guarantee it

really can't remember ver 4, but I think svg support was pretty basic then
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

To be honest, every time there is a sale on upgrade i ponder if I should do it or not.

Unfortunately, for me personally, Xara has gone in the completely wrong direction.
    I have no need for Websites with really bad code, nor do I need an image editor besides Photoshop.
    I understand that a lot of people are using these functions, but for my workflow I just don't need them.

What I need are powerful drawing-functions, and in this department not very much has changed.

The current version is 10 I guess, so is there a way to legally buy the "old" 8 Pro for cheap?
    It does not have to be the latest version, but I need the "Pro" flavour.

I guess you need to do some careful searching on the internet if you don't want to upgrade from xara site which would be 159 GBP - for example amazon uk currently have download only designer pro 10 version for 79.99 GBP but it is for sale in UK only... maybe something similar where you are?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks, there are similiar offers here around 100 Euro.
    But again, I don't need the latest version and especially do I not want to spend this much.

I looked at eBay and amazon without luck for older versions.
    Ist it even possible for someone to sell me a used 8 Pro?
    Can a license be transferred?
    Or is there any place where I can find a "new" 8 Pro?

OR if anybody knows how to fix this in 4 Pro, I would be equally grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    To be honest, every time there is a sale on upgrade i ponder if I should do it or not.

Unfortunately, for me personally, Xara has gone in the completely wrong direction.
    I have no need for Websites with really bad code, nor do I need an image editor besides Photoshop.
    I understand that a lot of people are using these functions, but for my workflow I just don't need them.

What I need are powerful drawing-functions, and in this department not very much has changed.

The current version is 10 I guess, so is there a way to legally buy the "old" 8 Pro for cheap?
    It does not have to be the latest version, but I need the "Pro" flavour.
    You might consider Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 10, which is the drawing and page layout part of the full Xara Designer Pro, not including web design features - at a significantly reduced price compared to the full program. Though you're using your created content for websites, you seem to be creating graphics for websites, which doesn't necessarily require you to do other aspects of web design - I sometimes create content for websites for the use by other web designers not skilled in illustration. You can create SVG content without the needs for the web design features of the full program.

Consider that I use Xara Designer Pro 9 (having upgraded from Xara Xtreme Pro 4) and I definitely do not do work in the web design industry, though I have some experience doing so and may have needs for the future, which is why I bought the full program. However, the income I earn in illustration using Xara software, more than pays for the costs for software upgrades.

More specifically regarding SVG format, like web design, is something I have no needs for, so I cannot help you in issues regarding SVG format. I generally create content that will be exported to JPG, PNG, or as a layered PSD (raster format) in its usable form for publishing companies that I do freelance work for. SVG has no purpose for the work I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    You might consider Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 10, which is the drawing and page layout part of the full Xara Designer Pro
    As I said, I need the "Pro" version.
    PDF/X export and Pantone Colors are essential for me.

Ah... I use PDF/X as well, though my work resembles hand-painted or photo-realistic images - though I work in vector, most think it's all image editing work with what I produce. I am a fantasy cartographer, I create maps for roleplaying game publishers and video game strategy guide publishers, for both print and PDF. The printing houses I work with haven't complained with the RGB art I send, not CMYK, and though spot colors are used in some work, I've never needed the specificity of Pantone Color reliance.

So basically it's: Buy 10 Pro or get lost, right?

you can upgrade to the non pro version 10 for 49 euro, and you can run both versions - although I appreciate that might not suit your workflow [EDIT - but try the trial first, I cannot guarantee the svg support in non pro versions]

no one is telling you to get lost - version 4 is a long way back and svg support then was minimal, there may well be no single-file solution other than an upgrade

but I will tell you what I would try if upgrading was not an option:

I would select all [which will not select the hidden layers]
    ctrl+n for new document
    shift+ctrl+v to paste all in place
    and export
    and then close this new document

but again it may not be what you really want to do, and may not even work the way you want but you can try it
    Nothing lasts forever...