Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Misaligned text after republishing

Have searched for help with this, not found anything.

Occasionally after republishing, when I first view a page, it may have some misaligned text. It's easily corrected by hitting "refresh." However, I have some frequent visitors who experience this now & then, and seem oblivious to the "refresh" button, so I sometimes get notes telling me that something is screwed up in the design. I tell 'em what to do, that fixes it, no problem. I suspect some new stuff is bumping into some old cached stuff.

Is there a way to FORCE pages to refresh when viewed? I'm sure that would create slowdowns for folks who don't experience this. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Misaligned text after republishing

"Republish changed files only"

This will prevent the renaming of files and reduce cache problems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rcfo.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	86661  

I think you will find that this is an ever-present problem for anyone designing websites, no matter what tools are used to publish it. It is just a fact that all your visitors who have visited the site before will have a cached version in their system. I always instruct my clients to use the refresh whilst reviewing a build of their site. Of course this does not affect unique visitors to your clients site, and if you explain this to them, they will understand.

Thanks Drwyd and andymack ... I think I have the "republish changed files only" set properly, but will check. I think perhaps a little unobtrusive note about refreshing might be in order, but if I make it unobtrusive, it probably won't reach those for whom it's really intended. But I appreciate the confirmation of what I've been telling people ... it's likely a caching conflict.

Ken

You're welcome Ken

Be aware that "Republish changed files only" and "browser refresh (CTRL+f5)" will not solve all the problems. Your ISP along with your clients ISP will also be caching files.

You could put this meta tag into the <head> of your pages:

Code:
    <meta http-equiv="Cache-control" content="no-cache">
    This instructs the browser to fetch all page elements from the server rather than from its own cache.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Thanks! Will give that a try.

Ken