Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Jpeg Resolution

Default Jpeg Resolution

Hello, I have taken a Xara file and exported it to Jpeg before exporting that to PDF. I did this for memory compression as my company can only accept files under 40 MB Ram.

Now, I may be worrying about nothing, but, when I exported to JPEG, I maximized the quality and Dpi to 300 and once exported to PDF, what was 112 MB, is now only 24. And it looks great. The only problem is, it is spacially HUGE. My original file is to be 7.5 inches wide by 9.25 tall.

The PDF looks amazing! Better than the native Xara file. I couildn't believe it. The only problem I forsee is the size. I wonder if the publishers can easily compress this PDF to its assigned size. All layers have been flattened under the export to Jpeg, so it may be able to be resized. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Jpeg Resolution

Put a bit of the elbow grease into it. What I did, was exported now to PNG. I optimised it to 300 dpi and all and then exported the PNG to PDF. It's brilliant! AND it is of perfect size constraints. The publishe will be none the wiser when they see the file. So, for anyone who is having problems with sizing and exporting, it appears PNG is a great go-between.

PNG is the new JPG.

Well not really, but for just about everything these days, it's an exceedingly superior format. Lossless compression means that images with large swatches of solid color won't get wonky artifacts all over, and the ability to include full alpha transparency is a big plus. There are situations where the different compression in a PNG results in a slightly larger file size than JPG, but this really isn't so much of an issue in this day and age, what with USB drives and high-speed internet (I for one was so very happy when PC manufacturers discontinued including floppy drives on machines as standard, it was the first step in the death of the floppy disk).

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

What I am missing is why export and convert? Why not go straight to PDF to begin with?

Mike