Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to make a website work well on iphone and mobile devices

Is there anything you can do to make a website/ web page work well on an iphone etc. E.g. do you need to keep the width of a page to be within a certain limit. Does xara help with this at all.

Does a xara created website download images etc. only when they're actually needed, or does it download all images for a web page, even if they don't appear until the user clicks on something.

TIA

Default Re: How to make a website work well on iphone and mobile devices

Hi Photonkid

I have been having the same issue. From my very limited knowledge the only way i have been able to get my website to display properly on my phone is to group all the text. This caused a problem with it making it all images and hence bad search engine optimisation (no text showing at all on source view). I tried highlighting and naming the text htmltext and applying soft group instead. It then showed up on the source page but still screwed up on mobile phone. Very frustrating. So in short, i think the answer may be no it cant be done, but i am still searching the same answer. If you find a way or come across any news I would be happy to have it too

cheers

Kristine

Quote Originally Posted by photonkid View Post
    Does a xara created website download images etc. only when they're actually needed, or does it download all images for a web page, even if they don't appear until the user clicks on something.
    that is surely under the control of the users browser [cache prefetch ...] nothing to do with the wesite design at all
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

People generally build seperate sites for mobile platforms, either as in completely different sites (Xara), or sites that adapt (via CSS).

A site that works well on a desktop isn't going to be a good site for a mobile phone.

Compare these:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/