Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default More questions about Erasers...

I just read the thread the thread "...plus ask about erasers" but it doesn't answer my question about combining shapes to remove unwanted portions - or at least I didn't quite understand it. Here's my issue. I've created a nice "background" image with ripples and live effects, but it has gaps, and isn'tthe right shape. I need to erase parts of it and clip it to the right shape, but every time I try to do this using the slice tool, it puts the gaps back into the image! Attached is my image and the shape I want to clip it to. I don't want anyone to just "do" this for me, I would really like to learn "how" to do this. Can anyone please help me? Honestly, I have to agree that an eraser tool would come in VERY handy at times! TIA. backgroundShapes.xar

Just a note: I just tried converting the ripple shape to a bitmap copy and then slicing the shape - that doesn't get me the rippled effect I want - just the shape I already have. Then, I tried just creating the water ripples in my shape - but again that leaves gaps and when I try to "slice" them away it does all kinds of weird things to the shape...help please?
    Last edited by Coleen; 04 January 2012 at 02:22 PM.
    Coleen
    "Tears are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of how deeply we loved."

Default Re: More questions about Erasers...

Erase is really a bitmap function in which pixels are removed from an image.

With vector programs, you remove an area by creating a vector shape and then using the Arrange > Combine Shapes > Subtract Shapes command.

You can also create a masking shape to remove all but a portion of a bitmap image and use a Clipview to mask the bitmap into the shape. Or place the vector mask shape over the bitmap and use Combine Shapes > Intersect Shapes to do the same thing as the Clipview.

Here's a Workbook article that explains the process http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook36/page_4.htm

If a bitmap has a solid color background you can also use the Live Effects Tool > Mehdi > Eraser Genuine to erase the background (make it transparency actually). Refer to this article http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/wo...kbook%204.html

I tried converting it to a bitmap and then using the shape tool to "clip" out the areas that I didn't want. It "looked like it worked...until I copied it and then tried to apply a different fill color to it. As I was moving the fill upwards...low and behold there was my "clipped" shape back again! Why can't we just have an eraser? There ARE times when you just want to erase a tiny bit of a drawing - no matter whether it's a vector or bitmap or raster drawing - sometimes you just want to remove part of it. Does anyone know when the eraser tool that was mentioned in the previous thread will be available? And will it be a plug-in or do we have to get a complete upgrade?
    Coleen

one thing to be aware of when you apply an live effect - the intersect and subtract will work on the underlying shape and then the live effect will be reapplied automatically afterwards - sometimes this results in no visual change, or not the change you were expecting - see attached which is the result of subracting a circle from the live effect - the resulting gap is not circular as it has been 're-rippled' automatically - this is a consequence of how live effects work..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	le-sub.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	86383  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

if for example you try to subtract out just the top left piece - it will not change, because that area is 'spun out' by the ripple and there is no underlying shape at that point
    Nothing lasts forever...

Exactly my point Steve - this is why we need a real eraser! Applying the ripple effect to my shape worked to get the effect, but of course it adds "ripples" where I don't want them. So when I try to clip them out - it just re-applies them. I just want to completely erase it. Even converting to a bitmap and clipping it - as I mentioned, if I change the fill in any way the clipped section re-appears. So what is the answer? How do I completely remove the section I don't want? Wouldn't an eraser actually BE the answer? TIA.
    Coleen

What you can do is create a bitmap copy of the shape with the live effect applied, then draw your constraining shape over it, select both, and Combine Shapes > Intersect. The downside of this is that it's a bitmap, and thus no longer editable. This is fine if you're certain that no other changes need to be made with the image.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

well technically its a shape with a bitmap fill as it easily seen if you select it with the fill tool and then move the fill around
    Nothing lasts forever...