Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default More questions about Erasers...

I just read the thread the thread "...plus ask about erasers" but it doesn't answer my question about combining shapes to remove unwanted portions - or at least I didn't quite understand it. Here's my issue. I've created a nice "background" image with ripples and live effects, but it has gaps, and isn'tthe right shape. I need to erase parts of it and clip it to the right shape, but every time I try to do this using the slice tool, it puts the gaps back into the image! Attached is my image and the shape I want to clip it to. I don't want anyone to just "do" this for me, I would really like to learn "how" to do this. Can anyone please help me? Honestly, I have to agree that an eraser tool would come in VERY handy at times! TIA. backgroundShapes.xar

Just a note: I just tried converting the ripple shape to a bitmap copy and then slicing the shape - that doesn't get me the rippled effect I want - just the shape I already have. Then, I tried just creating the water ripples in my shape - but again that leaves gaps and when I try to "slice" them away it does all kinds of weird things to the shape...help please?
    Last edited by Coleen; 04 January 2012 at 02:22 PM.
    Coleen
    "Tears are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of how deeply we loved."

Default Re: More questions about Erasers...

Erase is really a bitmap function in which pixels are removed from an image.

With vector programs, you remove an area by creating a vector shape and then using the Arrange > Combine Shapes > Subtract Shapes command.

You can also create a masking shape to remove all but a portion of a bitmap image and use a Clipview to mask the bitmap into the shape. Or place the vector mask shape over the bitmap and use Combine Shapes > Intersect Shapes to do the same thing as the Clipview.

Here's a Workbook article that explains the process http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook36/page_4.htm

If a bitmap has a solid color background you can also use the Live Effects Tool > Mehdi > Eraser Genuine to erase the background (make it transparency actually). Refer to this article http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/wo...kbook%204.html

I tried converting it to a bitmap and then using the shape tool to "clip" out the areas that I didn't want. It "looked like it worked...until I copied it and then tried to apply a different fill color to it. As I was moving the fill upwards...low and behold there was my "clipped" shape back again! Why can't we just have an eraser? There ARE times when you just want to erase a tiny bit of a drawing - no matter whether it's a vector or bitmap or raster drawing - sometimes you just want to remove part of it. Does anyone know when the eraser tool that was mentioned in the previous thread will be available? And will it be a plug-in or do we have to get a complete upgrade?
    Coleen

one thing to be aware of when you apply an live effect - the intersect and subtract will work on the underlying shape and then the live effect will be reapplied automatically afterwards - sometimes this results in no visual change, or not the change you were expecting - see attached which is the result of subracting a circle from the live effect - the resulting gap is not circular as it has been 're-rippled' automatically - this is a consequence of how live effects work..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	le-sub.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	86383  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

if for example you try to subtract out just the top left piece - it will not change, because that area is 'spun out' by the ripple and there is no underlying shape at that point
    Nothing lasts forever...

Exactly my point Steve - this is why we need a real eraser! Applying the ripple effect to my shape worked to get the effect, but of course it adds "ripples" where I don't want them. So when I try to clip them out - it just re-applies them. I just want to completely erase it. Even converting to a bitmap and clipping it - as I mentioned, if I change the fill in any way the clipped section re-appears. So what is the answer? How do I completely remove the section I don't want? Wouldn't an eraser actually BE the answer? TIA.
    Coleen

Is the roughly pentagon shape the desired shape of the neat looking ripples?

If so...Once you create a bitmap, it is placed in the bitmap gallery. You can then apply that to your shape. Make sure the shape is overlaying the original bitmap copy at slightly smaller than where the holes are.

If that isn't what you are wanting...

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	86384  

the live effect ripple is an overlay.. an eraser would only work if it erased the overlay too.. and that's likely a significant technical difficulty [though not impossible]

when you clip a bitmap in xara you simply mask out the areas you don't wish to see.. so in principle, [if I understand you right], after each change you make you need to remake the bitmap copy in order to 'fix' it
    Nothing lasts forever...

What you can do is create a bitmap copy of the shape with the live effect applied, then draw your constraining shape over it, select both, and Combine Shapes > Intersect. The downside of this is that it's a bitmap, and thus no longer editable. This is fine if you're certain that no other changes need to be made with the image.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

well technically its a shape with a bitmap fill as it easily seen if you select it with the fill tool and then move the fill around
    Nothing lasts forever...