Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Charges for web sites

Fort those of you you build sites for other people, and assuming the client provides all the content, photos, etc., how much do you charge for building a basic website? And after it's built and approved, how much do you charge for changes or adding to it?

Thanks
    Wayne

Default Re: Charges for web sites

depends on the site, depends on the client, depends on you, depends on the weather - how long is a piece of string?
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I charge $95 for one page "business card" site. Includes hosting for one year and domain name for one year. $50/yr hosting after 1st yr., $15/yr domain renewal. (this is a good way to get new clients). $250 for 3 page "brochure" site, $350 to $450 5-6 page basic site, flash, slideshows, forms, hosting, etc. are extra. Custom sites - more than just basic run of the mill are quoted per site... roughly $250 setup (design/look/colors etc) & $100/pg average. Hosting $100/yr for 3 or more pages. I work in Southern California - I cater to small businesses. I charge $65/hr maintenance. Your location & clientele will affect your charges. Don't forget to figure in client meeting/phone time when calculating your time -- it is more than just developing a website.

As above poster said... depends, depends, depends... but maybe above info will give you a starting point to ponder.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I work quite similarly to Bob, and like Frank says what I charge for a site will depend on many factors. One thing that I do is to is to ask for a percentage in advance, and the remainder to be paid before the site is uploaded, (especially if the client wants to set up their own hosting rather than going through me) that way if the client decides part way along to put the site on hold, I'm not left with hours of work completely unpaid, and if they have already made a payment they will be much less likely to do that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks guys!
    You have been a BIG help.
    How does this sound? If you see anything I need to change or add, feel free to say so.
    Thanks!

The Designed Page/s
    One page basic "business card" page $150 includes up to 1 hr. consultation/setup time. The client's logo can be included on the site if it is already completely designed and convertible to a suitable file format. Any logo design work, done by us, is charged separately. Up to three photos and ftp upload to the web are also included.

3 page basic "brochure" site, $300 includes all the above with two extra pages.

5-6 page basic site $400- $450 includes all the above plus the extra pages.

Custom sites - with special colors, fades, custom graphics, flash, slideshows, Youtube, audio, video, Facebook links, mapquest, forms, etc. $300 setup plus $100 per page.

The fully functioning site will be reviewed by the client in preview mode and must have written approval before upload. Any and all additions made to the site after approval, payment, and upload will incur a $55/hr maintenance fee. In the rare event that the site goes down due to server failure, the host's contact information will be given to the client.

Hosting the site
    We presently host sites with xxxxxxxxxxx, or the client can opt to use a host of their own choosing. Payment will be made by the client to the hosting service. If the client already owns a domain, it can be transferred and any fees for this will be paid to the hosting company. If the client does not own a domain, we will acquire one for the client, at no extra charge, at the time of ftp upload and the client will pay any charges for the domain to the hosting company. With xxxxxxxxxx, the domain/hosting package typically costs less than $80/year.

SEO
    The site will employ keywords within it's content which will be propagated on all popular search engines. However, any extra desired search engine optimization services will be paid by the client to that service provider .

50% deposit is required to proceed on all work. Completed site will be uploaded to the web upon final payment. When you are ready to proceed, please have all desired photos and other content with you at the time of consultation.
    Thank you for considering us!

I've gone another route; pricewise, about the same. But I created a cart, which the client can peruse before we even engage, to get a sense of what both the pricing AND deliverables will be. Got to manage those client expectations(!). During the 'pre-sale' phase, I can get online with the client remotely, and walk them through the project, building the cart, and then getting that 'Checkout' button pressed. When I get the email from PayPal that the money's there, I start.

[link removed]

Note: It's a php script inside a Xara-powered iframe.
    Last edited by covoxer; 13 February 2012 at 06:47 AM.

I like it. Very nice, Dave.
    And you do excellent work!

Hi,

I build you an PHP based website with flash header for $200, and your hosting will be $7,95 everything unlimited,for a year, domain name free for first year, have a look here:
    [link removed]

soet
    Last edited by covoxer; 13 February 2012 at 06:46 AM.