Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Does anyone know if there's a way to import vector paths from AI/EPS files into Photoshop 6? I don't mean rendering them as bitmap, but getting them onto a Photoshop path layer? Unless I'm missing something obvious, it seems that the ONLY way to do this now is to copy-paste from an Illustrator-on-the-clipboard (AICB) enabled drawing program (and there aren't many of those). Isn't it strange that there seems to be no way of doing this via a regular file?

Thanks,

Klaus
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

IP

Does anyone know if there's a way to import vector paths from AI/EPS files into Photoshop 6? I don't mean rendering them as bitmap, but getting them onto a Photoshop path layer? Unless I'm missing something obvious, it seems that the ONLY way to do this now is to copy-paste from an Illustrator-on-the-clipboard (AICB) enabled drawing program (and there aren't many of those). Isn't it strange that there seems to be no way of doing this via a regular file?

Thanks,

Klaus
    K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)

IP

open illustrator,make path, or import path from other software.select the path you want to paste to photoshop,then press crtl+c (copy) ,back to photoshop,paste,then will jump out a messagebox ,there are three choise:1.paste as bmp,2.paste as path,3.paste as shape.you can choise paste to path.
    IP

Thanks for answering that question Whitney, it was well explained. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Mark...
    IP

Yes, Mark and Whitney, it was well explained. Alas, it did NOT answer my question: how to import paths into PS from a FILE (like AI/EPS). Shouldn't this be a no-brainer? Is it possible Adobe left this out? Mark, aren't you a Big PS Guru - do you know?

K
    K

IP

Well actually Klaus, to "import" a Path, Whitney's explanation is exactly what you'd do, and whta would happen in that case.

If this doesn't answer your question, then i/we may not be understanding exactly what it is you're wanting to do.

Another way to get a Path from a AI/EPS file into your working doc would be to open that file into PS, select the object/path in that file you wish to use, return to your working doc and paste that selected shape into a channel/layer. Reselect it, and open the Paths palette, then "Convert" that "Selection to Path".

The results though with that method will not be as 'pure' as with the "Import" method.

Does that help any?

Mark...
    IP

Hello Klaus

You answered your own question. You do need a application that will paste the path to be AICB enabled. As far as I know only Freehand and Illustrator do this.

All other imports have to be rasterised.

Adobe want it to be the killer facility that will make you buy Illustrator as wrell as Photoshop.
    IP

Aw crap! Sorry Klaus, i just noticed you said "PS6". Mike is right, AI/EPS get rasterized. Man, that kinda sucks huh? Sheeesh! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Man i hope they don't think they're fooling anyone with that scheme. And they haven't put any more effort into making PS6 capable of recreating a decent path from a selection either i've noticed. That's irritating!

About the only thing i can think of at the moment to work around this snafu Klaus (and it IS work!), is to save out your AI/EPS image in separate parts, then import them into PS6 and reconstruct the image to it's whole again. Then, if need be, recreate the parts as paths. But they for sure won't be near as clean as the originals.

Sorry bout that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Mark...
    IP

Uh, so I was right again - alas!

"As far as I know only Freehand and Illustrator do this."

And Expression 2 too! A totally fabulous app, there's nothing like it around - check it out at www.creaturehouse.com, they have a 30 day fully functional demo. The download size is the same as XaraX's, about 7 Mb, and the price is about the same also.

K
    K

IP

"And they haven't put any more effort into making PS6 capable of recreating a decent path from a selection either i've noticed. That's irritating!"

I think it more involves the seemingly insuperable problem of converting bitmaps to vectors. There are NO applications which can do this without a considerable margin of errors and/or a hopeless amount of imprecise nodes - including the Vector Masters themselves, Adobe with their Streamline.

K
    K

IP