Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Run website from a cd or dvd

I wanted to see if anyone has found out how to convert your website to cd or dvd. I want to make my website a standalone application and run from a CD/DVD and distribute everywhere.

Default Re: Run website from a cd or dvd

you mean you want to save an offline version of your site onto CD/DVD ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

A CD/DVD does not have a web server running to support a web site. If the person using the CD/DVD has a web server installed they could add the drive to their web folders. This would allow them to access the web content on the CD/DVD via their browser.

I have not used the Presentation features of the new version 7 applications but that could be the solution you are looking for.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

As long as PHP, ASP.NET isn't used in the site, saving the site to disk and copying the entire folder structure to one's media of choice should run just fine.

Unless one creates the autorun stuff, the user will have to open the disc and double click on index.html and their default browser will load the site. All resources (images, scripts, etc) need to be on the disc.

For the autorun stuff, a freebie is here:
    http://www.autorunwizard.com/default.cfm
    Never used it, Google may be your friend here.

Take care, Mike

Thanks for the help.. I found some software out there to make this happen. I was hoping there was something free and easy way to do this. This could be a big benefit for companies with manuals, training materials and flash video...

Thanks again,
    Kevin

Kevin--what is it about your web site that you cannot simply export your web site and copy it to the CD/DVD? Plus, have you tried the link to the free software for creating the autorun I put above?

Flash doesn't affect the ability to run off the media. Just PHP and ASP.net stuff. Further, doing as Soquili suggested and making an Xara presentation would be a slick thing for placing on media.

I guess I am not understanding what it is you are really wanting to do because both an HTML-based site (even with flash, javascript, etc) can run from a CD/DVD and likely the Xara presentation as well. Put it this way, if you can view a web site or an Xara presentation on your local drive (You cannot use any server-based Xara stuff), it will work on media.

Then the only thing left is to build the autorun which the link above provides for free (assuming it works).

Take care, Mike

I take it back. The link I provided is for an application that costs a few bucks, though you can install and make the autorun stuff with their splash unless it is purchased.

Sorry. Mike

If a customer is running IE (many companies require their employees to use IE) there will be a warning message similar to the one in the attached image. This usually causes the customer to fear a virus or other malmare may be present.

This is why I suggested using a presentation rather than a website.

If you use Mark of the Web (MOTW) for the pages it is possible the warning will not be displayed (depends on security settings on the customer's machine). In Web Designer and Designer Pro you can name any object "<motw>" with out the quotes and the MOTW code will be added to your pages.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ie-warning.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	2.7 KB 
ID:	86210  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64