Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default web page problem

I have had a web site up since 2012 and now when I go to it one of the pages comes up with just all the text, etc info instead of the normal page. When I preview it in Xara it is fine.

I uploaded it again and have the same problem.

The page in question is - edit - I copy/paste the url in but it then goes to a "page not found"

The web site is - www.brownpotters.com and the page is James E. Brown, Jr

How do I fix the problem? - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Default Re: web page problem

Hi Jeb

I fixed your link in your post but it comes up with a page not found.

If I go to your site and click on James Edward Brown then the page loads and displays as expected.

Gary, it is James E. Brown, Jr page that comes up with just the text, etc, - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

jb, the link from that button is not pointing to an htm file. It may because you have a period after the Jr
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I would also suggest not using spaces, capitals, commas and periods in your page File Name.

From the Help files:

Note that characters entered in this field are automatically converted to lower case and accented characters and some non-alphanumeric characters are not allowed. This is to reduce the chances of compatibility problems with different web servers when you publish your website.
    You can of course use all of these in the page Title.

If you want to make the File Name more readable use hyphens or underscores.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

tks for the input but this site and page has worked for several years without a problem and when I preview it in Xara it works perfectly. - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

But it's not working now JB which is your point and the reason for your question persumably. The link from the button James E Brown Jr is no longer loading an html file, just a text file.
    Egg

I renamed the page and checked the link on the nav bar. When I preview it works - just as it did before.

I cleared the cashe, published the site again and get the same results - text, etc. And the address bar shows the same as it did before I changed and published again.

Don't know if it is connected but when the site auto-saves it comes up with an error message -"Failed to copy the XAR files support folder." When I save it I don't get that message.

Also, this site was made in an older version Designer Pro. - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

JB,

Look at your browser info bar (bottom left). Notice that all the other buttons have the DOT html extension apart from the one that's not working.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	james-e-brown.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	104770  
    Egg

Tks Egg -

I see that - but I changed the page name to jamesebrownjr so what is showing there is still the old page name. I will check with Startlogic tomorrow and see if I can find out why it did not change when I re-published the site. - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com