Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Webdesigner 7 premium.......Trying to publish with no success

Hello all.
    I like the software very much. It's very user friendly. But I'm having a bit of trouble. I exported my site to my 'documents' folder as "webbsignworks" but everytime i try to publish, I keep getting an error message popup reading;
    " /webbsignworks_htm_files:No such file or directory."
    I tried running the program in administrator mode as well.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Webdesigner 7 premium.......Trying to publish with no success

Welcome to TalkGraphics Heartstrings

Are you publishing your site to the correct directory? Most web hosts require you to publish your site to a specific sub folder such as public_html or something like that.

Alternatively, it might be better to publish the website to a folder on your desktop (I would name your site index.htm or index.html by the way instead of webdesignworks) and then use an FTP program such as the free application Filezilla to upload your files from your computer to your web host.

Thanks Gary,
    I downloaded Filezilla but couln't figure all of it out. So I tried once again uploading with Xara. This time in entered "httpdocs" in th esubfolder box. This time it uploaded....but I don't know where it went. The bar made it all the way to 100% with no error messages but the site is not there. I have my old site on the domain, built with NetObjects Fusion. Should I first remove the old data?

Yes, you need to delete all the old data before you can upload the new site. The new site will not automatically override the old one. Delete all previous files directly from the folder on the host site, and then upload the new files. Check that there is not a folder httpdoc (without the s) as this may be the folder you need to upload to, although usually it is either index.html or public_html. Cheers, Abi

The old NOF files should not make any difference. Unless your NOF site had an index.html and your site has an index.htm. Index.html will always load before index.htm.

Try this. Publish your site again and this time when it asks for a name, call your site index.html (all lowercase). This will replace the NOF index file and all of the pages in your WD document will refer to the other pages created.

As Abi suggests, though, from a housekeeping point of view, it might be best to clean out all the old files and start clean. You can do this in WD Website Properties > Publish dialog by pressing the Explore Web Space button. Then selecting and deleting all the old files.

One final thought. After you have uploaded the new pages (and you might want to try this first) go to your site and refresh the browser page (press F5 of Ctrl + F5). Often the old page is cached and even though you have replaced the files you will not see the changes. ISPs do this to make your pages load faster. So try this first before you republish and/or delete the old files.

The strangest thing happened, night before last I took the laptop to bed and played with the design for a few minutes, hit the publish button and it uploaded to the web. So I'm scratching my head on that one until the next morning I open Xara again and the little tip of the day popup thingy comes up informing me that I am supposed to hit SAVE after hitting EXPORT. I didn't remember reading that in the instructions . Anyway, it's working fine now. Thanks very much for the help!
    Here's what I'm building.
    http://www.webbsignworks.com/about.htm