Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Import at DPI specified in the image file

Doesn't seem to work, pictures are always imported at 96 DPI (XD7 Pro and XD6 tested)

Sorry if this is old news but I'm trying to work in 1:1 pasting hand drawings and text into Xara and it's pretty annoying that I have to resize every single picture (scanned at 300 DPI).

If the option 'Import at DPI specified in the image file' doesn't work anyway then consider removing the option.

JimR
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	86174

Default Re: Import at DPI specified in the image file

it usually works for me... using PNG files mostly [provided dpi is actually specified in the file - which is not always the case, it is up to the creating software as to whether this is done and some don't, and then it will default to 96dpi]

I believe there are some ifs and buts if you use the 'blank photo' template

if you have an image you can post we can check it out
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks Steve, I am using Paint Shop Pro X2 for scanning and preparing ('blackening') my pencil drawings, then just copying the drawing directly from PSP and pasting into Xara.

I could save as PNG, then drag into Xara but it would be a slower workflow. For now I'm pasting, then resizing to 32% which is faster when you don't need to save the original drawings.

best regards

JimR

Good way to do it - and if you do need to save the original later you can always do that from xara, exporting the resized image.....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yeah - but - it should import in the right size though, I still think it's a half-broken Xara feature.

Happy New Xara Year!

JimR

without a sample file I can't comment on whether anything is broken or not - what I can say is that if you scan something into a program at 300dpi you may need to tell the program to include that information when it exports - an image file size is 'x number of pixels' by 'y number of pixels'.. a dpi tag is not actually part of that size spec, its an option designed for print purposes originally

and as far as cut and paste is concerned, that's not technically importing and there is unlikely to be any dpi info included on the clipboard, so the xara dpi option won't apply

happy new year !
    Nothing lasts forever...

The "Import at DPI specified in the image file" switch refers specifically to Import, not Paste...

When programs place an image on the clipboard it may not include resolution information (or it may declare incorrect resolution information!). I'm not sure what Paint Shop Pro does.

If you use Import (either from File | Import... or by dragging and dropping from Explorer) you should get the behaviour you want.

Phil
    Last edited by PhilM; 01 January 2012 at 04:13 PM.