Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Xara Training - Lets Build a Website Together with Designer Pro 7

Check out http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook69/ it should give you a good start.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Quote Originally Posted by dbluez View Post

The second part will involve building the same site from scratch utilizing every tool in
    Designer 7.

I say no more

[bearing in mind this is designer pro we are talking about]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I'm not saying it is a bad idea, I actually think it is a good one and If I had enough skills I'd do it as a series of tutorials, I have the willingness, but I don't have the expertise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    nor will I be doing the tutorial
    thank you - my point precisely

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I'm not saying anyone has to do it, but it would be a welcome addition.
    well if nobody does it, it's not going to become much of an addition is it?

it's easy to say "hear, hear, jolly good idea, what?" and then walk away hoping somebody will step into the breach - i don't fall into that category, i see this for what it is

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    I'm not saying it is a bad idea, I actually think it is a good one and If I had enough skills I'd do it as a series of tutorials, I have the willingness, but I don't have the expertise.
    frances, i think this is a brilliant idea, and in an ideal world we'd all be rushing forward to offer our services, but i live in the real world, not an ideal world, and if you had the expertise that kind of project demands (to be honest, you probably have most of what it would take) you'd quite possibly be a professional web designer, in which case you'd either have to be semi-retired without too many money worries, or an unemployed web designer, hoping the project would lead to something that would pay the bills

maybe xara will sponsor me to do it
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Geeze I wasn't expecting this!
    I was hoping someone from the Xara would take up the mantle
    and work on this...not the customers!

The idea was that this will be a more effective way of learning the program(s)
    Now I know not ever one has Designer Pro but it has all the other
    tools built it so maybe they can modularize the training
    so that you can utilize the module that pertains to the tool
    you have.

I will also be willing to pay for a tutorial like this.
    It can cut a lot of time off the learning curve.

I subscribe to Lynda.com ant the tutorials there are great.
    Maybe the people at Xara can cut a deal with Lynda get something going
    there.

But thanks for the comments both pro and con.
    As I said it's just an idea that's been turning in my head for a while and
    it's good to read your comments and views about it.

By the way is there a printed manua for Designer Pro 7?
    I got one with Pro 6 but I don't recall receiving one with "7"

Thanks

db

good idea maybe for web designer premium

but designer pro is a lot more than just an html creator, some of us have never ever exported html and have no need or desire to do so.....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I am looking at doing some video tutorials in the new year, using Designer Pro7. I am thinking of trying to cover a variety of subjects and making each tutorial a small but complete project from start to finish. Website, and Presentation techniques might be a good thing to add. I can't promise how often I'll be doing this as I am going to do this completely voluntarily. I plan on embedding the videos here at TG and perhaps including a zip file when necessary of files that can used to complete the tutorials. I can't promise a regular schedule, or that I am any kind of expert, but I have spent a lot of time learning the software and I like to share. At the moment I am still researching possible content, but I will do one or two to start with and see how things go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by dbluez View Post
    Geeze I wasn't expecting this!
    I was hoping someone from the Xara would take up the mantle
    and work on this...not the customers!
    sorry, that's not how i read it

it would be great if xara produced the kind of tutorial you're looking for, but i certainly wouldn't use it and since i am far from unique, many other users (professional or otherwise) might not either

i can see such tutorials being good for beginners, but how many beginners buy XDP7? not many, i bet

nevertheless, i hope the suits at xara towers take on board your suggestion and if they find the financial resources to produce such a thing, good on you for suggesting it

merry krimbo to one and all

If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

dbluez, I'm pretty dissappointed with the reception your idea has received and pretty dissappointed by some of the comments put forward by TG regulars.

Don't let it put you off the software.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    I am looking at doing some video tutorials in the new year, using Designer Pro7. I am thinking of trying to cover a variety of subjects and making each tutorial a small but complete project from start to finish. Website, and Presentation techniques might be a good thing to add. I can't promise how often I'll be doing this as I am going to do this completely voluntarily. I plan on embedding the videos here at TG and perhaps including a zip file when necessary of files that can used to complete the tutorials. I can't promise a regular schedule, or that I am any kind of expert, but I have spent a lot of time learning the software and I like to share. At the moment I am still researching possible content, but I will do one or two to start with and see how things go.
    Thanks Angelize. I am not suggest that you do it all but as I said it was meant for the Xara
    team to take this on.
    By the way the reason I am suggesting to build a "learning site" is because we can use all
    the tools in the software and apply it to the project.
    Again as DP7 has all the tools. if the Xara team was to develop this, it can me modularized
    so the every one can benefit.

Again thanks for all the comments

db