Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Xara Training - Lets Build a Website Together with Designer Pro 7

There are may "workshop" type tutorials on the Xara site. The problem is that they are not related to each other but are set up more like a manual where you are shown random examples of how to accomplish a particular task (here is how to do a fill; here is how to group objects etc).

This is not very good way to learn a program such as Designer Pro 7 which contains such an amazing suite of tools.

What I would like to suggest is that we get an expert to guide us through the building of a complete website (say about 3 to 4 pages).

There should be two parts. First we build the site using a website template.
    The second part will involve building the same site from scratch utilizing every tool in
    Designer 7.

We will create our own graphics; layout ; pages ...everything!!
    Then we will add content; link all the pages together and even add advertising like Adsense and banners. Maybe even add an eCommerce store!

In my opinion a project such as this will be the best way to teach us how to use this powerful suite of tools. The regular Xara workshops/tutorials will then become reference material and can be linked off the main project.

Thanks,

db

Default Re: Xara Training - Lets Build a Website Together with Designer Pro 7

so which part of this project are you volunteering to help with
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

there's no such thing as "the building of a complete website". there's only "the building of a complete website" as it pertains to your personal requirements

that's why a modular approach is better, you cherry-pick the bits you need, you ignore those you don't

your proposal sounds great, but it would involve a massive amount of work, enough work to fill a book or an ebook - would enough people buy it to warrant the time and effort invested?

and of course not everybody has Designer Pro 7
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I think what dbluez is asking for is not a group project but more of a virtual class kind of thing where the "expert" would be the teacher who would demonstrate each lesson and the participants would be able to do the lesson at their own pace. I could see it being done and the whole process of creating a website being broken down into lessons, and participants could chose which lessons to do, but finding an expert who would be knowledgeable enough to pull it off and willing to put in the time to prepare lessons and make themselves available to answer questions would be the hard part.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

DBluez have you tried the tutorials at http://www.xaraxone.com ? There are more than 15 years of tutorials there.

Each tutorial is a complete project. There are some related to creating websites as well as the many graphics related tutorials.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    but finding an expert who would be knowledgeable enough to pull it off and willing to put in the time to prepare lessons and make themselves available to answer questions would be the hard part.
    on the assumption that what is being proposed is free service, that is the problem in the real world - hence my question......
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by dbluez View Post
    This is not very good way to learn a program such as Designer Pro 7 which contains such an amazing suite of tools.
    no, in an ideal world everything in life should be taught with an expert to hold your hand and show you how to do everything. but apart from mommy who taught you how to eat, poop and say "mommy", the rest cost money. maybe not yours, but it cost money

this is not an ideal world

and in spite of that, this forum is full of Xara lovers who learnt by doing (and who are damn good at it), maybe you could give it a try?
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

dbluez, I think you've made a perfectly good suggestion, I'm dissappointed by the responses you've received.

Thank you for the suggestion - I agree with you.

Paul

so who do you recommend does the hand-holding?
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I don't need to recommend anyone and it's not about hand-holding, nor will I be doing the tutorial, either. I'm not saying anyone has to do it, but it would be a welcome addition.

I think a complete project can be far more instructive than a load of little hints - showing the full picture as it were. I'm sure a lot of people on TG would enjoy a complete tutorial.

Are you trying to say anything in particular with the hand-holding remark?