Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Making a mask from a logo image ?

Very new user here....I have been provided a .jpg logo in black on a white ground that I need to convert to a transparent ground and some other color logo to be placed on a page. I can't quite figure out how to do this - very new to WD 7 Premium. Any hints would be appreciated. I do find the mask drawing tool button but the logo is too complicated for that - I think I need to just convert the logo image itself if possible.
    Many thanks in advance.
    s.

Default Re: Making a mask from a logo image ?

Hi welcome to TalkGraphics Stones

Is the logo hi res or web resolution? Can you post it here for us to take a look at. If it is high resolution one of us might be able to drop out the background for you. I do not think this can be done in WD7.

Gary (New Mexico)

Thanks Gary! It is reasonably high res - maybe 200-250 but was made from something questionable...a scan of the original maybe...before I got it.
    Dont laugh now....but I have a number of good graphics apps here and have never needed to make a mask in any one of them! I have used them mostly like basic desktop publishing for the illustrations I do in 3D and some special graphical architectural plans sheets printed out at 24x36 pdf. (I detest Autocad for this use) Now helping a friend out, I'm doing a little website for him. I actually made the site in another program and then found Xara and much liked the way it works. Probably re-do my own little site too as Xara is so user friendly.

Sure I can post it here but it might be a good thing for me to learn how to do this...finally. On the other hand, I can just go up on the roof to hold it up high in the snowy sky this morning and you may be able to see it from your address in Placitas!!! www.highdesertstudio.net So if I can't figure it out, then I'll come back and beg for help again....;-)

Many thanks,
    Stones

OK, I think I got it but I had to figure out that .jpg carries no transparency. .png seems to work just fine. What a revelation! Now I just need to make the image negative before the mask - using Corel PhotoPaint X5. Next I'm going to look into Xara Designer Pro (crossgrade) Is that the same as Xara Extreme Pro? Also can anyone tell me if either will import pdf's and then make them editable by "exploding" the grouped text and vectors in the pdf...as does Corel X5?
    Thanks again,
    Stones

Maybe you could just walk over with the logo?

Yes, Designer Pro is the successor to Xtreme Pro.

Suggestion for your site. Your home page title is index and this is what shows in the title bar. And this is what will appear if someone bookmarks your page. You need to make your page title more descriptive of your site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index.png 
Views:	199 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	86157  

Hi again Gary and thanks for the tip. I'll definitely get it into the new site. Thanks also for not looking too closely at the site - first site, cranky software and cranky abilities! I agree with you absolutely - "Less is more" - that old maxim from the Bauhaus.

Can you say whether Designer Pro can edit pdf text etc?... will vectors snap to pdf geometry? I tried a search for this but no luck.

Stop over anytime for coffee! :-)

Stones