Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't Get Web Site To Publish

Hello,

I am trying to publish/upload my first web design and am getting an error message. I am first exporting the website, then trying to publish it. The error message I am getting is "/email template_htm_files: The system cannot find the file specified, where 'email template' is the name I have given it. Is it because I am on a trial?

Default Re: Can't Get Web Site To Publish

no, i suspect you haven't told the publish dialog which sub-folder on your web space you want to upload your files to - many web servers disallow you trying to upload your files to the root directory, you have to specify the web root, usually httpdocs, htdocs or public_html

click the 'explore web space' button to find out what it's called and then insert it into the field above the button
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Also, you are better off saving your site as index.htm or index.html (no difference really).

How are you publishing your files to your site? And as Mr. Penguin points out, be sure you are publishing to the right location.

Trial versions are fully functional. The only limitation is time. After 5 days you need to provide Xara with some personal info and after 30 days the trial version expires.

Thanks Hannah and welcome to TalkGraphics.

Thank you all for your replies.

I renamed the test website (the first page in the 'Page & Layer Gallery). I first "exported website" per the instructions (I am guessing that saves it to my hard drive), then attempted to publish it again. And again, I am getting a similar error message, but this time it is:

"/index_htm_files: The system cannot find the file specified"

I also called my web hosting company and asked about the sub folder mentioned earlier, and they gave me no helpful information as to why that would be the issue.

Any other ideas? The process seems so simple and I can't imagine what I am doing wrong or running into here. Obviously, many people are doing this successfully, so clearly its something on my end that is the problem.

I can provide you with screen shots of what I am seeing and doing on my end if that will help.
    Last edited by TOCOF; 18 December 2011 at 04:48 AM.

yes, screen shots of the publish dialog would help, including one of the "explore web space" folder. you have no security worries since the publish password cannot be seen but if you are worried, just change the hostname
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Thanks bertgascon,

Here are screen shots of what I think you are asking for. I am not sure exactly what the "explore web space" folder is (remember, you are dealing with a kindergartner here...please dumb things down a bit more for me).

As a side note, I used filezilla to upload my website files to my domain name, so I know that the web site works (that took a bit of doing for the first time, but I gotterdone).

If there is anything else you need to know, please ask, and thanks a bunch for the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara ss publish2.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	86067   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara ss publish.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	86068  

I know this has come up before and I will try to get you an answer. Though it appears that part of the answer is to use Filezilla to upload your files to your server.

Publish to a folder on your desktop, then move the files from the folder to your server in Filezilla.

If it works...

On the other hand, it is a lot easier if you can publish directly from WD as you only replace the files that have changed and not the entire site each time.

When the "Publish details" dialog is open, please click on the "Explore web space" button and take a screenshot of the window that opens.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

The Xara Whisperer suggests:

Try this thread: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...r-7.1-update e.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 18 December 2011 at 10:04 PM.

getting a 404 on that link Gary... EDIT - ok now ...
    Last edited by handrawn; 18 December 2011 at 10:55 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...