Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problem with MP4 video

First time trying to put a video on my website. I have imported an MP4 video, which creates a blank screen on the page with playback controls. It will play the audio portion perfectly, but no video. Has me baffled.

Default Re: Problem with MP4 video

Welcome to TalkGraphics Lee

There are many subsets of the MP4 video file format and not all work. Do a search in the Help > Index section for MP4 & FLV Movie Files.

There are different codexes and as I said, not all of them work. If you have the option to try different ones do that until you find one that works. I am not sure which these are. Perhaps someone who knows more about this than I will step forward and clarify.

OK Lee, here's what the Xara Whisperer left chalked on the wall of the coffee room:

Codecs not 'codexes' [shows how much I know]

Yes, MP4 is a container, not a format.
    The encoding type best suited is h.264 - best suited for web streaming (as used by YouTube, Vimeo et al)
    You can use Format Factory or FreeMake to re encode video files to the supported type.

Gwpriester,

Thanks very much for your help and advice. Short term, I posted the video on YouTube and linked to it. I will do some experiments with the conversion programs you suggested and report back.

Cheers,
    Lee