Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Please improve the quality of JPEG images - particularly when inserting text

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    I take issue with your "holier than thou" stance on what is "correct" use.
    To be honest it smacks of smuggness, and ivory towers of technological theory and not of the real, commercial world.
    It does Paul, chill out. Billions of photos are taken every day by current peripherals whose default save format is JPG, taken by people who wouldn't know a PNG from a /dev/null. Your attitude is, frankly, pompous.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Default Re: Please improve the quality of JPEG images - particularly when inserting text

I can't see what the fuss is all about maybe I have not understood the problem.

I've exported the same file as both a PNG and a JPEG (at 100% quality for a level playing field). I can see very little difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JPEG PNG Comparison.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	86918  

Quote Originally Posted by beretgascon View Post
    It does Paul, chill out. Billions of photos are taken every day by current peripherals whose default save format is JPG, taken by people who wouldn't know a PNG from a /dev/null. Your attitude is, frankly, pompous.
    I'm not sure why you guys like singling out my posts for attention. I try and stick to the subject in hand and you guys seem intent on patronising lectures and stupid accusations.

I said that few people would be using jpegs in the way that shipen intends - basically no compression, text rendering and that is a perfectly reasonable statement. I voiced an opinion that because of this niche use I'd be suprised if Xara saw it as a priority.

When I wrote that stuff I thought it was just a plain statement and an opinion.

Shipen has an easy solution to his problem. So easy, he's demonstrated it. I haven't heard anyone else see this as an issue. Yes Xara, may not be doing the best job, but then that can be said of a lot of other things too.

If Xara had done a job to Shipens satisfaction, I would think, it's not a great use for a jpeg but it does the job. I'd probably think "When's a jpeg not a jpeg? when it has no compression."

I am the most pragmatic guy you could meet.

I don't care if Shipen asks Xara to do something about jpeg text rendering. Ask away. It's not really an issue for anyone else (or if it is they are darn quiet).

Shipen has a solution to produce quality jpeg text but doesn't use it. Instead I got a lecture on opening cans of paint with a screwdriver.
    Last edited by pauland; 26 January 2012 at 09:41 PM.

* * silly puerile comment removed in a rare moment of restraint and clarity of thought * *

Peace, Paul * shakes hands*
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Absolutely. Peace.

> Shipen has a solution to produce quality jpeg text but doesn't use it.
    Sorry to drag this one out, but what exactly is this solution that I have but am not using?
    (Our CMS only accepts JPEG format image files, remember).
    My own original solution was to export a GIF to Photoshop (v6) and thus bi-pass XARA's cr*p JPEG export engine.
    And although yes, this is possible, it is also a heck of a pain and in the end one is tempted to simly abandon Xara and just use Photoshop instead.

So yes, that is a solution but perhaps "abandon Xara" is not the solution that the Xara development team would prefer to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    My own original solution was to export a GIF to Photoshop (v6) and thus bi-pass XARA's cr*p JPEG export engine.
    And although yes, this is possible, it is also a heck of a pain and in the end one is tempted to simly abandon Xara and just use Photoshop instead.

So yes, that is a solution but perhaps "abandon Xara" is not the solution that the Xara development team would prefer to hear.
    Yes, that's the solution.

That's "a" solution (stop using Xara) and hopefully a temporary one. Luke Hart indicated in post #10 that Xara is aware of the issue from his Gimp examples.

The issue is more apparent using red text. Perhaps Xara will roll in other sampling options--like no sub-sampling and or improve their present one.

Which is why Dear Xara exists, isn't it? To let them know of issues and hope/pray/desire/wish for improvement and or bug fixes?

Take care, Mike--who wishes for improvement in this regard.

ok, to sum up:

1] xara jpg 'sub-sampling' is not as good as photoshop [or gimp]

2] there is no way round this in xara

3] request has been made for xara to bring the 'sub-sampling' up to the photoshop standard

4] xara themselves are oibviouly aware of this issue

could be this is as far as it goes for now?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...