Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

hi Kopykat,

How about saving each layer as a transparent png. Then import all the separate pngs into xara. One png to a layer. It will stil be a bitmap, but you will have your layers intact.

Another avenue, might be to export it through illustrator. You just might be able to retain your vectors that way. I usually go vector app to bitmap app so I have not tried to do it in reverse.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kopykat:
    Anton I sure would like to check out your cd template. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Happy to send it to you. It's nothing special, just a CD-label-sized ring electronically cut out of a blank rectangle. It's specifically designed for the CD labels I have, which dictate the position of the ring, but that may not suit your needs? I'll send it anyway.

Anton
    Anton

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Soquili:
    If you move the layer that has the doughnut outline to the Background Layers in the Layers Gallery, it will not print and can be visible at all times. Another option is to copy and paste the doughtnut outline onto the guides layer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

These mathods certainly sounded obvious at the time, but having tried them, they don't really work.

Moving the donut-cutout to the background layer also moves it to the back, i.e., behind the image of whatever I want on the label.

Moving it onto the guides layer changes the object from an opaque rextangle with an "O" ring cutout, to just an outline of a rectagle with a "O" ring drawn inside it.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't use clip-images?

Or maybe I want to press my original point and ask for a "non-printable" option to be added to what you can do with layers.

And, while on that topic, can we have more than one Guides layer per drawing, please, in the wishlist? Currently youb can have only one. My reason for asking is a map that I'm going, and I need to be able to have rectangles of two different sizes behind the drawing, which I'm tracing out, so I need two different sets of guides.

Anton
    Anton

"Presently a thing which is visible also prints, and if you don't want it to print, you're not allowed to see it either."

Not really. If you deselect the edit function on the layer you don't want to print and then "select all", in the print dialog is the "Print selected objects only" option. Since the object cannot be selected it won't print.
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

"Since the object cannot be selected it won't print" - Grant

If the unselcted object is infront of or behind a selected object then it will print, (ie jaggies on a .gif)

Why exactly do you need to see the borders? And by "clip images", do you mean "clip view" or filling the donut shape with your bitmap?

Attached is a template from some fill experiments I did several years ago. I'm still using the same setup. It's just that we don't currently use fills on our cd labels. This fill is your basic fractal clouds, but it could as easily be a bitmap tile or sliced out of a larger bitmap.

I keep the border layer for reference, but it's rarely visible. The guides are sufficient.
    Attached Files Attached Files

When you are ready to print, drag the layers you don't want to print to the background. When you are finished printing, use the undo function to move your layers back where they were.

Mickie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Allison Moore:
    Why exactly do you need to see the borders? And by "clip images", do you mean "clip view" or filling the donut shape with your bitmap <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I wanted to see it because otherwise, at first glance, the file looks simply like a blank sheet of paper, which once caused me to believe that I'd deleted the object...

I meant "clip view".

But never mind, I have a satisfactorily simple workaround now. I have a bitimage which is tucked in behind the tamplate, so that part of it pokes out above the top left corner and part is partly visible through the donut cut-out. Now it looks like exactly what it is and does, rather than just "nothing".
    Anton

> I have a satisfactorily simple workaround now

That's cool. Long as you have what you need. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif