Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Are there guidelines for oversizing websites?

I did a WD7 site that has about 50 pages. Most of the pages have 10 non-layered pop-up photos from thumbnails. I'd like to have more pages eventually, but it now takes about 5 minutes for any modification to export and upload any minor changes.

The site works fine, but I'm wondering if there are any maximum limit guidelines about how large we can go. The .web file is now 37mb.

Default Re: Are there guidelines for oversizing websites?

It's always worthwhile opening your file then going to Utilities -> Optimise all JPEGs and clicking Optimise, leaving all default settings as they are, then save the file, close the program and re-open it. Do this particularly after importing lots of new images (after setting the photo pop-up settings) or immedately before you export the website. It's important that you close and re-open the file, this clears any memory that the program was using and gets rid of the original images from the file, leaving only the optimised ones.

This optimises the size of the images stored in your file to a suitable web resolution so the program not only uses less memory to allow it to perform quicker, it reduces the size of the images which get exported from the program whe you publish your site. Thus meaning visitors to your site don't have to wait ages for lots of large images to load.

There's no set limit to the size you can make your site, but if you have or plan to have a very large site, particularly with lots of images and large pop-ups applied then it's workin a look at Gary's tutorial on managing large sites http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/wo...kbook%201.html

Default Re: Are there guidelines for oversizing websites?

That did the trick! It reduced my .web file size by over half, so files are uploading faster. Actually, a little too fast. Where before I could heat up some coffee and visit the john, now I can only do one or the other. That tutorial on subdirectories was also an eye-opener. Thanks.

The new site:
    Last edited by Starhunter; 29 November 2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: add link